une dinguerie

< Previous | Next >

Englishtranslator26

Français
Hi everyone!

I need to translate "une dinguerie". In my example, a guy is telling his friend about a group of people who are having the wildest parties. In French, we say "une dinguerie" to say something is wild, crazy, so I was thinking of writing "It was wild!", but maybe a native speaker will have a slang word that would be in the same register as in French.

Thank you!

• Englishtranslator26

Français
    Thanks, I didn't know that expression. It's too long for me though.

I also thought of "It's/ It was sick!" Do you think it conveys the same meaning?

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Well you always have to be careful with slang because there's BrE and AmE slang, which may not be the same, and then there's slang that clings to particular age groups at particular times, so you'd need to be quite clear about who your intended audience is.

To me, "it was sick" doesn't mean "crazy", but I'm almost certainly not in the demographic you're probably aiming at. "Fifty shades of crazy" isn't a set expression. I made it up, on the pattern of "fifty shades of grey/gray".

See To be sick (slang for cool/awesome), but that's 9 years old now. It's also a matter of understanding the register of "dinguerie". I'm inclined to think that that would be understood by most age groups in French, whereas "sick" (in your intended sense) wouldn't in English.

Last edited:

Englishtranslator26

Français
    Yes, of course, I didn't say what kind of people were talking. They're around 25-30 and they live in Paris. And I'm looking for american slang.

NIGI

British English
    If the parties are wild in a good way, then you could use: epic, awesome, frickin' A, dope, sick, off the chain,

If the wildness is more things getting out of hand, you could use... fucked up, or some variant?

< Previous | Next >