une frêle poignée d'années

< Previous | Next >

syrita

English [UK]
Hi All

Vous avez, chère madame, plusieurs dates de naissance. Celle qui apparaît sur votre passeport puis celle, une frêle poignée d’années plus tard, correspondant à vos premiers pas devant la caméra.

In this text, I am struggling with the word 'frêle'. Brief, insubstantial, I think the word plays on the actress' first appearance on camera as very young.

When you read this, what do you understand by 'frêle' straight off the bat? If you can give me an explanation then I can find the word in English.

Thanks in advance!

Syrita

• Itisi

English UK/French
    Is this written originally in French? 'frêle poignée d'années' is ridiculous. It doesn't deserve your time and effort. :( Just write 'a frail bunch of years'! :D

LART01

French-France
    Is this written originally in French? 'frêle poignée d'années' is ridiculous. It doesn't deserve your time and effort. :( Just write 'a frail bunch of years'! :D
    +1
    Frêle poignée "pourrait" vouloir dire dans la bouche de son auteur: un petit nombre

syrita

English [UK]
    Or maybe 'a mere clutch of years later'

It plays on the pun ' a mere slip of a girl' which means a young slim girl.

Thanks all!

A 'mere handful' is the final choice. :)

jetset

French
    L'emploi de ce terme est en effet surprenant, cependant le CNRTL mentionne le sens de "courte durée", ce qui correspondrait ici à "quelques courtes années plus tard".

Itisi

English UK/French
    Pardon jetset, j'avais regardé à 'poignée' :oops:(Pas étonnant que je ne trouvais pas !:rolleyes:)

(Personnellement, je continue à trouve 'frêle' discutable dans cette phrase...)

syrita

English [UK]
    I know but what can you do? I am here to translate it. lol. Thanks for all your help. 'A mere handful of years later' is fine. To be honest, it's hard when you translate French to English not to make it sound flowery and over the top generally anyway. You have to be a bit 'astringent' to make it flow like English.

< Previous | Next >