Unfamiliar accents marks abound [from PC game pt. 3]

Luke19

Polish
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding certain phrases. I’m not a native speaker so it’d be great if you can elaborate and explain some meanings to me J

I have to firstly give you a synopsis – I’m playing Pillars of Eternity, a recent PC game which is known also for its sophisticated vocabulary (archaic words, scientific terminology etc.). Of course most of terms and phrases can be found online or guessed from its context, however there are some which cannot be translated directly. Could you check the below sentences and advise what this particular phrases mean ?

While Hylspeak is familiar to speakers of so-called 'modern' Aedyran, the same cannot be said of our language's predecessor. Eld Aedyran is a dead language, spoken by academics but not used in any major community. Eld Aedyran words are often familiar to Aedyran readers, but the words use orthography that has since been abandoned - unfamiliar accents marks abound. I understand it’s not a phrasal verb although for a non-native speaker it sounds like one. Does the last sentence is comprised of two parts: ‘unfamiliar (adj.) accents (n.) marks (n.) + abound (v.)? Meaning- the marks of unfamiliar accents exist in large numbers?

• Myridon

English - US
    It should say "unfamiliar accent marks abound". The 's' on "accents" is an error.
    accent marks - um lauts, tildes, circumflexes, etc
    Diacritic - Wikipedia
    A diacritic – also diacritical mark, diacritical point, or diacritical sign – is a glyph added to a letter, or basic glyph.

English uses no diacritical marks so any diacritical mark makes a word sound foreign and exotic like the ice cream brand names :
    Frusen Glädjé
    Häagen-Dazs
    Both of those names were invented by Americans and are not correct in the language that they are supposed to represent.

Oranje

English - England
    "[noun phrase] abound" is a high prose way of saying "there will be lots of [noun p.]".

The -s on "accents" is an error. Myridon is 100% correct.

< Previous | Next >