"(unfashionable system) of education" or "unfashionable (system of education)?

huynhvantinhftu

Vietnamese
I find it difficult to diagram a sentence when I have an adjective (phrase) modifying a noun phrase in the sentence. I hope to receive advice. Many thanks in advance.

Sentence A:
Can you think of the name of a flower beginning with T?
(1) In this sentence, "beginning with T" is an adj phrase. Does it modify noun phrase "the name of a flower" or only the noun "name" or only the noun "flower"?

Sentence B:
Cardiac arrest, also known as cardiopulmonary arrest or circulatory arrest, is a sudden stop in effective blood circulation due to the failure of the heart to contract effectively or at all.
(2) In this sentence, is "to contract effectively" an adj phrase. Does it modify the noun phrase "the failure of the heart" or only the noun "heart" or only the noun "failure"?

Sentence C:
Unemployment is supposed to be the result of an unfashionable system of education.
(3) In this sentence, does the adj. "unfashionable" modifies the noun phrase "system of education" or only the noun "system"?
(4)
Can we consider it to be "(unfashionable system) of education" or "unfashionable (system of education)"

(5)
By the way, What is function of "or at all"? Does "or at all" contrasts with "sudden"?

• Barque

Tamil
    I'm not very good with grammatical terms like adjectival phrases and adverbial phrases, but:
    Does it modify noun phrase "the name of a flower"
    Yes, it applies to "name of a flower".
    Does it modify the noun phrase "the failure of the heart"
    Yes, "to contract effectively" is what the heart fails to do in a cardiac arrest.
    does the adj. "unfashionable" modifies the noun phrase "system of education"
    Yes.
    Can we consider it to be "(unfashionable system) of education" or "unfashionable (system of education)"
    It applies to "system of education" but interpreting it as above doesn't make a difference in this context in my opinion.
    By the way, What is function of "or at all"?
    The sentence refers to the failure of the heart to contract effectively or contract at all. In a cardiac arrest, the heart either contracts without being effective (at making blood circulate properly), or doesn't contract at all.

(By the way, the forum rules stipulate one question per thread. Here it seems that all your questions are related, but just letting you know for the future.)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    ..Can..... you..... think.......of ........the name.......of............a flower.............beginning with T?
    Modal...subject...verb..preposition.....noun......preposition......noun...........reduced relative clause
    ....................................................noun..{.......adjectival phrase.....}...{.......adjectival clause.....}
    ...................................................{.......................noun phrase.....}...{.......adjectival clause.....}

One post = one question. ;)

huynhvantinhftu

Vietnamese
    I'm not very good with grammatical terms like adjectival phrases and adverbial phrases, but:

Yes, it applies to "name of a flower".

Yes, "to contract effectively" is what the heart fails to do in a cardiac arrest.

Yes.

It applies to "system of education" but interpreting it as above doesn't make a difference in this context in my opinion.

The sentence refers to the failure of the heart to contract effectively or contract at all. In a cardiac arrest, the heart either contracts without being effective (at making blood circulate properly), or doesn't contract at all.

(By the way, the forum rules stipulate one question per thread. Here it seems that all your questions are related, but just letting you know for the future.)
    ..Can..... you..... think.......of ........the name.......of............a flower.............beginning with T?
    Modal...subject...verb..preposition.....noun......preposition......noun...........reduced relative clause
    ....................................................noun..{.......adjectival phrase.....}...{.......adjectival clause.....}
    ...................................................{.......................noun phrase.....}...{.......adjectival clause.....}

One post = one question. ;)
    Thank Barque and PaulQ so much. I have understood.
    By the way, I intend to post some related question to make sure that i can understand the problem thoroughly. And I don't want to create so many one-question topics with the same problems.
    So how can i do for further problems?

Barque

Tamil
    If the question is related to the ones in the opening post of this thread, you can post them here.

< Previous | Next >