unfit / unhealthy

Trinity2000

Spanish - Argentina
Hi, I would like to know if I am using right the words unfit and unhealthy in this sentences:

"His face had a rather unfit look, as if he never took any excercise."

"He can't play in the match tomorrow. He's hurt his ankle, and the club medical officer has declared him unhealthy."

I'm confused because of these definitions of unfit:

-not healthy because you do too little exercise (which would fit the first sentence)
-not suitable or good enough for a particular purpose or activity (which would fit the second one)

Both are from the same dictonary, and the sentences I gave are from an excercise of the book in which I have to complete with unfit in one sentence and unhealthy in the other. Thank you!

• You little ripper!

Australian English
    I would reverse them. We don't normally use 'unfit' to describe the way a face looks (unhealthy' usually refers to someone's general state of health which is why it it's better used there). When someone has some sort of injury and can't play in a particular sport, we usually say that they are not fit to play/unfit.

Trinity2000

Spanish - Argentina
    I would reverse them. We don't normally use 'unfit' to describe the way a face looks (unhealthy' usually refers to someone's general state of health which is why it it's better used there). When someone has some sort of injury and can't play in a particular sport, we usually say that they are not fit to play/unfit.
    Thank you so much!

< Previous | Next >