unilateral decisions on interventions on their own

< Previous | Next >

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
Elicitive mediators are guided by the parties' desires and inputs regarding how active the intermediary should be and the kinds of interventions they provide. Directive or prescriptive intermediaries are generally highly active and make a significant number of unilateral decisions on interventions on their own, based on what they think the parties need or want.
(The Mediation Process: Practical Strategies for Resolving Conflict; Christopher W. Moore)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether 'on their own' adds new information and is therefore indispensable?

Thanks.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello Suprun,

Yes, I think on their own does contribute to the meaning here. The directive and prescriptive mediators are being contrasted with the elictive ones; they make decisions on their own - ie. independently, without consulting the parties about how active they should be, whereas the elictive mediators consult the interested parties on the timing and nature of their interventions.

Loob

English UK
    Yes - I'd say the sentence needed either "unilateral" or "on their own", but not both:thumbsup:.

< Previous | Next >