unilateral wetdream

< Previous | Next >

easychen

Chinese
Here's a line from the movie Public Enemy:

If this was somebody's unilateral wetdream, then that somebody is going to prison.

What does unilateral wetdream mean? Is it common usage?

Thanks!

• jroeschl

English - U.S.
    I have never heard that expression before. A wetdream (more professionally called a nocturnal emission) occurs when a male ejaculates semen in his sleep. But no, "unilateral wetdream" is not a common expression. Hope that helps. :)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I think this phrase is intended to suggest that someone was fulfilling his or her fantasies by acting without sanction or without permission.

It's a completely idiosyncratic usage that I've never heard or read before.

easychen

Chinese
    I have never heard that expression before. A wetdream (more professionally called a nocturnal emission) occurs when a male ejaculates semen in his sleep. But no, "unilateral wetdream" is not a common expression. Hope that helps. :)
    Hi,jroe!
    I sure know what "wetdream" means. But it doesn't seem to fit the context.I would guess "unilateral wetdream" meant "unilateral action without permission or out of control", but I'm not sure.

easychen

Chinese
    I think this phrase is intended to suggest that someone was fulfilling his or her fantasies by acting without sanction or without permission.

It's a completely idiosyncratic usage that I've never heard or read before.
    Hi, bibl!
    It completely baffles me to know that a big hollywood movie used some expression that American people don't understand. Is the case occasionally or usually?

< Previous | Next >