unintelligible slaughter

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Ahmad Rahami charged over New York and New Jersey bombs - BBC News

Quotation:
The victims included a woman who "had to have multiple ball bearings removed from her body, as well as metal fragmentation from her ear and wood shards from her neck".

The FBI said Mr Rahami was also found with a notebook containing such writings as, "my heart I pray to the beautiful wise ALLAH. To not take jihad away from."

Another passage in the journal allegedly said: "You [USA Government] continue your [unintelligible] slaught[er]" against the mujahideen, or holy warriors, be it Afghanistan, Iraq, Sham (Syria), Palestine."
===
Hi everyone! Does "unintelligible" mean "incapable of being understood"? I would not expect the word here.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    It means that the person transcribing the notebook could not read that word. That is why the word [unintelligible] is in square brackets. It is not something that Rahami wrote. It was added by the person who transcribed the notebook.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    [unintelligible] does not qualify "slaughter" - it is a comment by the person who transcribed/translated the text. That person could not read what the writer had written.

Last edited:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Just as "USA government" in square brackets was inserted by someone along the way to explain whom Rahami meant by "you."

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    In general, in edited writing everything in square brackets [like this] was added by the editor (or translator, etc.) for clarity or as an explanation.

< Previous | Next >