Unknown language: Non lavars in lavarain lavatrice

Heba

Egypt, Arabic
Hello friends,

I bought a wool scarf today, and the paper on it is written in a language do not understand.

Would you please tell me what this language is, and help me translate it?

Omemlidir

Non lavars in lavarain lavatrice
lavara a mano in acque tieida con sapone
Non usre prodittil abase de cloro
Far asciugaer all ombra, strice con ferro
Non lavara in lavatrice
Non usere proditti abase di, strioa con ferro

Is that portuguese?
Please help me
Thank you

• judkinsc

English, USA
    Looks like Italian to me.

Do not wash in ...something
    Wash by hand in water with soap
    Do not use products with chlorine bleach
    Something or other...

The ones I don't know have something to do with ironing and drying...

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    It looks like Italian (or could it be Maltese?), but could you please check if you have spelled all the words right?

davidl243

English, Scotland
    If it's written correctly then it is not pure Italian - i would say it was one of the Italian 'dialects' (I say 'dialects' because linguistically they consitute languages - it's just because 'toscano' became the standardized language of Italy and so for political reasons they are referred to as 'dialects' of Italian, but that's a whole other story...) It is pretty close to Italian though so i would hazard a guess at maybe 'Romano' - the dialect of Rome...

EDIT - Having said that, i would be extremely surprised if a factory printed a label on a scarf in Romano, so i am therefore undoubtedly wrong.....

davidl243

English, Scotland
    Heba said:
    Hello friends,

I bought a wool scarf today, and the paper on it is written in a language do not understand.

Omemlidir

Non lavara in lavatrice

Is that portuguese?
    Please help me
    Thank you
    Looking at it again it MUST be typed wrongly (or written wrongly on the label) - "Non usre prodittil abase de" must be the same as "Non usere prodotti abase di", asciugaer MUST be 'asciugare' (to dry)...So i am pretty confident it is Italian but misspelt...

Mutichou

France - French
    To me, it looks like a mix between Italian and Latin. Perhaps it's a dialect that comes from Italian, or it is misspelt Italian.

Kelly B

USA English
    I don't know the language, but it says do not machine wash; wash by hand in cool water and soap; do not use chlorine bleach; dry in shade; and something about ironing. I'm a knitter - it's the usual warnings for wool.

davidl243

English, Scotland
    With all due respect, this is a label on a scarf...how likely is it that "Non usre prodittil abase de" and "Non usere proditti abase di" appear on the same label and mean two different things...

natasha2000

Heba said:
    Hello friends,

Omemlidir

Non lavara in lavatrice

Is that portuguese?
    Please help me
    Thank you
    Maybe it is Rumanian???
    I do not speak any Rumanian, bu I suppose, as a Romanic language, it would be very simmilar to Italian. On the other hand, I doubt that the text written on the paper would be written wrongly....

xav

France
    Je pense que c'est de l'italien plein d'erreurs, sauf la première phrase qui me semble être du romanche (la quatrième langue de Suisse, parlée dans le canton des Grisons).

Heba, would this scarf come from Switzerland ?

Brioche

Australia English
    It is obviously mis-transcribed Italian.

lavars in one line, lavara in another.

on a tatty label it is sometimes hard to make out the letters.

It is not vaguely like Maltese.

DaleC

natasha2000 said:
    Maybe it is Rumanian???
    I do not speak any Rumanian, bu I suppose, as a Romanic language, it would be very simmilar to Italian.
    The vocabulary of Rumanian is about 60 percent Slavic. Rumanian is a Romance language whose vocabulary was swamped with Slavic, and English is a Germanic language whose vocabulary was swamped with French.

natasha2000

I checked with LOGOS multilanguage diccionary, (http://www.logosdictionary.org) where you can introduce a word and if it exists in ANY language, it appears with meaning in various languages.
    This is a result:
    non - Means NO in Italian, Spanish, English, and many other.
    lavars - no results
    in - Means IN in Ital., Span. Engl. etc.
    lavarain - no results
    lavatrice - Means WASHING MACHINE in Italian
    lavara - no results
    mano - Means HAND in Italian, Spanish etc...
    acque - Means WATER in Pugliese (Which language is this?:confused: )
    tieida - no results
    sapone - Means SOAP in Italian
    prodittil - no results
    cloro - Means chlorine in Italian, Spanish, Galician, Portugese, etc...
    base - Means base in Italian, Spanish......
    far (this one is VERY interesting, heheh)
    Means LIGHTHOUSE in Romanian, Albanian, Catalonian, and FATHER in Norwegian, Danish, Swedish. In English, it means FAR, like FAR AWAY, opposite of near.
    asiuguaer - no results
    ombra - Means shade in Italian
    strice - no results
    ferro - Means IRON in Italian

Therefore, I can conclude that this is a VERY bad Italian, since the most of the words are Italian. Maybe someone tried to SOUND Italian, but without much success.

davidl243

English, Scotland
    'Pugliese' is the dialect from Puglia, in the south of Italy. Like i said near the beginning of this thread, they actually constitute distinct languages but because of politics they are referred to as dialects...

moodywop

Banned
    Italian - Italy
    davidl243 said:
    'Pugliese' is the dialect from Puglia, in the south of Italy. Like i said near the beginning of this thread, they actually constitute distinct languages but because of politics they are referred to as dialects...
    I'm impressed by your knowledge of Italian "dialects". Of course I totally agree with you about our "dialects" being languages with their own lexis, phonetic system, grammar and syntax. A fellow Italian on the IE forum recently described dialects as "variants" of Italian, which is absolutely misleading.

As for the label, I again agree with you that it's mainly mangled Italian. Maybe the garment was made in another country for the Italian market, which would explain the oddities?

Anyway, here it is as it should have been written in correct Italian:

Non lavare in lavatrice
    lavare a mano in acqua tiepida con sapone
    Non usare prodotti a base di cloro
    Far asciugare all'ombra,
    Stirare con ferro (I guess the appropriate iron setting would pe printed here)

Carlo

victoria luz

italy
    undoubtedly a very unfortunate attempt to imitate italian. I often happen to witness such monstruous linguistic creatures growing morewidespread and frequent as chinese textiles (fairly often bearing italianISED labels) conquer further slices of market :p

About our rich beautiful dialects (it doesn't definitely sound like any) you only see them printed in minor local press ;)
    vic

mansio

France/Alsace
    I thought at first that it was "Chinese" Italian.

The first word is "önemlidir" which means "important" in Turkish, so it is not "Chinese" Italian but "Turkish" Italian.
    The scarf has been manufactured in Turkey.

robbie_SWE

Trilingual: Swedish, Romanian & English
    Originally Posted by DaleC
    The vocabulary of Rumanian is about 60 percent Slavic. Rumanian is a Romance language whose vocabulary was swamped with Slavic, and English is a Germanic language whose vocabulary was swamped with French.
    Sorry DaleC, but you have it wrong!

Romanian has an 80% lexical similarity with the Romance languages, meaning that 80% of the words are derived from Vulgar Latin, French and Italian. Only 10% of the vocabulary is of Slavic origin. The Romanian grammar is based on Latin grammar, with slight moderations do to the Sprachbund.

Back to the matter at hand: The text isn't Romanian, but is fully understandable by any Romanian!

robbie

< Previous | Next >