unlettered people / sociétés sans écriture

Bakst

French
Bonjour.
Je voudrai traduire "unlettered people". J'hésite entre 'illettré" et "sans écriture".
J'ai vu que "sociétés sans écriture" pouvait se traduire par "oral societies". Aurait-on pu traduire par "unlettered societies ?

• RuK

English/lives France
    "oral societies" sounds odd to me; also "unlettered societies". I would say "illiterate" societies or oral cultures - for some reason this sounds less odd to me. For your first question, how about peuple analphabète?

Qcumber

UK English
    A quick google search confirms that you are right, Qcumber. I stand corrected.
    I suppose they created these terms to make the difference between illiterate people as found in Western countries despite compulsory education, and "primitive" tribes with no writing system of their own, but with an elaborate system of oral transmission of knowledge, traditions and mythology. Ethnologists' concern is to have precise scientific terms that are not tainted with prejudice.

Gutenberg

français international
    Bonjour.
    Je voudrai traduire "unlettered people". J'hésite entre 'illettré" et "sans écriture".
    J'ai vu que "sociétés sans écriture" pouvait se traduire par "oral societies". Aurait-on pu traduire par "unlettered societies ?

Unlettered people = peuple sans écriture (if that is the case, if their language is not written)