unlimited check writing

hi,everyone:
Please help me with this sentence?

These accounts generally permit unlimited check writing.

What does unlimited really mean here?
1. I don't mean its lexical meaning, in other words, what's the unlimited check?
2. Should it read as ...unlimited-check writing or unlimited check-writing?

Many many thanks in advance.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I think it means that if you have one of these accounts, you can generally (whatever that means) write as many checks as you want.

"Check writing" goes together. "Unlimited" describes "check writing."

Old Novice

USA, English
    hi,everyone:
    Please help me with this sentence?

These accounts generally permit unlimited check writing.

What does unlimited really mean here?
    1. I don't mean its lexical meaning, in other words, what's the unlimited check?
    2. Should it read as ...unlimited-check writing :cross: or unlimited check-writing? :tick:

Many many thanks in advance.
    It normally means you have a bank account that lets you write as many checks as you want without paying any extra fees to the bank. In contrast, some bank accounts let you write, say, 10 or 15 checks per month free and then charge you for each one over that number.

Brioche

Australia English
    I would write "unlimited check writing" without any hyphen.

[since I write BE, I'd actually spell check as cheque, but that's got nothing to do with hyphens]

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    Some bank accounts have a limit as to the number of cheques that may be written in any given period.

A cheque (check) is an order written by a customer instructing a bank to pay money to a specific person.

Some bank accounts have no limit to the number of cheques that may be written.

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Some bank accounts have a limit as to the number of cheques that may be written in any given period.

A cheque (check) is an order written by a customer instructing a bank to pay money to a specific person.

Some bank accounts have no limit to the number of cheques that may be written.

Yes, dot commas you just described it perfectly! Have a nice day.

Pablo

< Previous | Next >