unmaintained and dillapidated building

apoziopeza

slovak
Hi,

is it correct to say unmaintained and dillapidated building? It means a buidling that has not been maintained for a long time and is ruined/blighted/shabby? I do not want to sound to formal...

The context -

The owners of the adjacent land purchased unmaintained and dillapitaed building of the former car dealer and refurbished it in 2010.

thanks,
A>

• Kannan91

Malayalam
    Unmaintained is a word, but I don't really like it - I'd say "poorly maintained".

"The owners of the adjacent land purchased the former car dealer's poorly maintained and dilapidated building, and refurbished it in 2010."

Copyright

American English
    You don't need "unmaintained" -- that's part of the definition of dilapidated (note one "L").

WR dictionary: dilapidated:
    ▶adjective (of a building or object) in a state of disrepair or ruin as a result of age or neglect.

boozer

Bulgarian
    An unmaintained building is not necessarily dilapidated (note the spelling). Dilapidated tells me the building was in a very poor state of repair, maybe about to collapse even.

The owners of the adjacent land purchased an unmaintained and dilapidated building from the former car dealer and refurbished it in 2010

PS. After nobody responded for quite some time, now three of us cross posted :D

George French

English - UK
    Hi,

is it correct to say unmaintained and dillapidated building? It means a buidling that has not been maintained for a long time and is ruined/blighted/shabby? I do not want to sound to formal...

The context -

The owners of the adjacent land purchased unmaintained and dillapitaed building of the former car dealer and refurbished it in 2010.

thanks,
    You probably only need "The owners of the adjacent land purchased unmaintained and the dilapidated building of the former car dealer and refurbished it in 2010"

GF..

Last edited:

apoziopeza

slovak
    thank you all, I would stick to the literal translation - an unmaintained and dilapidated building - I hope it does not sound to formal

< Previous | Next >