unmitigated beauty

< Previous | Next >

siares

Slovak
Dear all,
I heard an insult on Cheers: unmitigated egomaniac.
I looked in context and saw both positive and negative things (success, disaster, praise), but most of them were on abstract things.
I want to check whether it is usually used with egomaniac (people), or was it unusual? Are the following examples OK?

-How was the performance?
- Unmitigated beauty! I cried.

- What was your date like?
- Unmitigated beauty, but also unmitigated bitch.

It's missing from our collocation dictionary, do you know any other? I see it in other dictionaries with 'disaster'.

Thank you.

• Dretagoto

Inglés británico
    Unmitigated means "absolute", "total" and with nothing to soften or qualify it, and there's probably no grammatical reason you couldn't apply it to a positive attribute like beauty, but it would be very unusual in English to use it with anything other than a negative.

While I've never heard it used with egomaniac before, it's fine to use it with a person (unmitigated bore is a fairly common phrase, and unmitigated bastard I've seen a few times, also), but I can't immediately think of any time I've heard it applied with a positive description of a person, because it usually has such a negative connotation.

siares

Slovak
    Bore? I haven't heard that before, interesting! So at least my (negative) bitch example was correct then.:)
    Thank you very much, Dretagoto.

Loob

English UK
    I'd say that the most common collocation with unmitigated is "unmitigated disaster".

< Previous | Next >