Unpacked, stiff and aching

TraductoraPobleSec

Catalan & Spanish
I know what to unpack and to be stiff and aching mean, of course. However, I am not sure about it in the following context:

We were thankful to reach Perpignan, and be unpacked, stiff and aching, with our arms almost broken, from being twisted round the window-frame so long.

I don't see the relation of being unpacked, stiff and aching with being thankful. I would have written something like: "We were thankful to reach P. and be able to unpack, because we were stiff and aching".

A I on the right track?

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi TPS,

We were thankful to reach Perpignan, and be unpacked, stiff and aching, with our arms almost broken, from being twisted round the window-frame so long.

A paraphrase: We arrived in Perpignan, stiff and aching, with our arms.... We were [therefore] thankful to have arrived and to be unpacked.

For this example of contorted syntax, the writer should be twisted round a window frame.

TraductoraPobleSec

Catalan & Spanish
    Hi TPS,

A paraphrase: We arrived in Perpignan, stiff and aching, with our arms.... We were [therefore] thankful to have arrived and to be unpacked.

For this example of contorted syntax, the writer should be twisted round a window frame.
    This makes sense, Cuchuflete. These Victorian lady travelers that I am translating were not that wonderful at the pen! :)

Loob

English UK
    If it's the same context as before, TPS (people squashed in a coach) I'd say "unpacked" is being used metaphorically, and that it refers to the people themselves getting out of the coach.

TraductoraPobleSec

Catalan & Spanish
    If it's the same context as before, TPS (people squashed in a coach) I'd say "unpacked" is being used metaphorically, and that it refers to the people themselves getting out of the coach.
    Yes, it's the same context and it makes so much sense, Loob! I did not think of that! :)

You're a star :)

< Previous | Next >