"Unpalatalized palatatalized consonants"

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.S.Hy

Mandarin Chinese
I have no clear ideas about some parts of the following exposition. Would you please to explain the bracketed parts to me? Please give some examples if necessaey. Thank you!

-- There are local or historical uses of the term palatalization. In Slavic linguistics, the "palatal" fricatives marked by a háček are really postalveolar consonants that arose from palatalization historically. There are also phonetically palatalized consonants (marked with an acute accent) that contrast with this; thus the distinction is made between "palatal" (postalveolar) and "palatalized". [[ Such "palatalized" consonants are not always phonetically palatalized ]]. For example, when Russian "soft" consonants appear before front vowels (particularly ), they are unpalatalized and contrast with "hard" consonants (which are typically unpalatalized) that are velarized in the same context. --

Source: wikipedia: palatalization(phonetics)

• Awwal12

Russian
    I have absolutely no idea what the person who wrote that at Wikipedia really tried to say here. There is a high chance he didn't understand the basics of phonetic terminology and/or palatalization itself.

C.S.Hy

Mandarin Chinese
    [[ For example, when Russian "soft" consonants appear before front vowels (particularly ), they are unpalatalized …]]?

C.S.Hy

Mandarin Chinese
    I have absolutely no idea what the person who wrote that at Wikipedia really tried to say here. There is a high chance he didn't understand the basics of phonetic terminology and/or palatalization itself.
    I am more confused, I think.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >