unperm? undo the perm? the opposite of 'get a perm'

< Previous | Next >

Sweetboat

Korean
In our school, it's against the school rule for a student to get a perm.
When I see such a student, I'd like to tell them to change their hairstyle to the original state.

What is the 'the opposite of 'get a perm'?'

For example,

1. Unperm your hair.
2. Get your hair unpermed.
3. Undo the perm.

Umm.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Is it possible to "undo" a perm? The word "perm" is short for "permanent". It is a permanent change in the hair. There is no process for "undoing it".

Getting your hair "straightened" may make sense if the hair was originally "straight", but:

(a) I am not an expert who knows the effect of "straightening" processes. It may not make the hair "like it was originally"

(b) most women's hair was not originally "straight"

Edit: my comments were about schools worldwide, not your school. A "perm" makes some women's hair look like other women's hair looks naturally (with no "perm" or other treatment). The normal hair look depends on race (ethnicity). If your school is in Korea, perhaps very few students have natural curly hair, and perhaps "hair straightening" is an appropriate fix. You can decide that.

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    Is it possible to "undo" a perm? The word "perm" is short for "permanent". It is a permanent change in the hair. There is no process for "undoing it".
    Permanents are not "permanent." The effects will be largely gone after a few months.
    It's (sometimes) possible to "undo" a perm by soaking the hair in a large amount of conditioner for a long time. Applying a chemical straightener to a recent permanent is probably the worst thing you can do to your hair.

suzi br

English / England
    In our school, it's against the school rule for a student to get a perm.
    When I see such a student, I'd like to tell them to change their hairstyle to the original state.

What is the 'the opposite of 'get a perm'?'

For example,

1. Unperm your hair.
    2. Get your hair unpermed.
    3. Undo the perm.

Umm.
    None of these.

Sweetboat

Korean
    I believe it is also sometimes called reversing a perm.
    Thank you. I'm thinking of making a conversation book for my students. Could you please check if all the sentences below are fine?
    I don't want to teach my students wrong English. Please help.

Teacher : Did you get a perm? It's against our school rule.
    Student : I'll reverse the perm. (Or I'll get my hair straightened.)
    Teacher : OK. Do it by next Monday, please.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I would go for straightening as the most straightforward expression. What happens at home or at the salon can be a different matter.

We have all kinds of hair rules in school here too, and so I completely understand the context.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Since most Koreans have straight hair in the first place, 're-straighten' might work better.

Teacher : Su-ji, did you get a perm?
    Su-ji: Yes, teach. Isn't it nice?
    Teacher: It's very nice, but you know it's against school rules!
    Su-ji : Sorry teach. I'll get it re-straightened.
    Teacher : Good! Please make sure you get it done by Monday.

Last edited:

Sweetboat

Korean
    Since most Koreans have straight hair in the first place, 're-straighten' might work better.

Teacher : Su-ji, did you get a perm?
    Su-ji: Yes, teach. Isn't it nice?
    Teacher: It's very nice, but you know it's against school rules!
    Su-ji : Sorry teach. I'll get it re-straightened.
    Teacher : Good! Please make sure you get it done by Monday.
    Oh, Thank you so much! You put a nice Korean name, too!
    I'll put this on my school website so everyone can learn these expressions!
    I really appreciate your help!

Oh, one more thing, please. Shouldn't it be 'teacher' not 'teach'? in the dialog?

Last edited:

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Oh, more more thing, please. Shouldn't it be 'teacher' not 'teach'? in the dialog?
    Yes, it should, Sweetboat, but Australian kids are probably not as polite to their teachers as Korean kids are, and we often use abbreviations like 'Teach' (I forgot to capitalize the 'T', so you may want to change that, too). :)

< Previous | Next >