Unpostponable, undelayable and undeferrable

< Previous | Next >

rafatcorrea

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, everyone! I'm brazilian and I'd like to know which of these expressions suits or sounds better for something that "cannot be postponed". I want to say something like The fight against climate change is an irreversible process that cannot be postponed. So, would be correct rewrite this sentence like in the following example: The fight against climate change is an irreversible and undelayable process?

If the answer is "yes", which of the expressions (unpostponable/undelayable/undeferrable) fits better with the sentence?

ps.: sorry for my english, I'm still learning :)

thanks in advance!
Rafael

• Copyright

American English
    Making up new, longer words lessens the impact that shorter, more direct words can have. I like your original, with a deletion:

The fight against climate change cannot be postponed.

Your original – The fight against climate change is an irreversible process that cannot be postponed – says that the "fight" is an irreversible process. That's not true: it can be reversed or stopped in its tracks. What you probably mean is that "climate change" is irreversible, and the "fight" cannot be postponed. In which case, you'd end up with something like: "Climate change is real – and the fight to reverse it cannot be postponed."

rafatcorrea

Portuguese - Brazil
    Making up new, longer words lessens the impact that shorter, more direct words can have. I like your original, with a deletion:

The fight against climate change cannot be postponed.

Your original – The fight against climate change is an irreversible process that cannot be postponed – says that the "fight" is an irreversible process. That's not true: it can be reversed or stopped in its tracks. What you probably mean is that "climate change" is irreversible, and the "fight" cannot be postponed. In which case, you'd end up with something like: "Climate change is real – and the fight to reverse it cannot be postponed."
    I appreciate your help, man! So, following your tips, could I say "Climate change is real – and the fight to reverse it is undelayable / unpostponable ? Or it sounds a little awkward?

Copyright

American English
    My first tip was: "Making up new, longer words lessens the impact that shorter, more direct words can have." That goes for unusual words, such as undelayable and unpostponable. You want words with impact, like "cannot be postponed" or "cannot be delayed."

suzi br

English / England
    My first tip was: "Making up new, longer words lessens the impact that shorter, more direct words can have." That goes for unusual words, such as undelayable and unpostponable. You want words with impact, like "cannot be postponed" or "cannot be delayed."
    This is excellent advice.
    Your attempts to use longer words really do reduce the impact of your message.

kentix

English - U.S.
    "Cannot be" is also untrue in one sense. It can potentially be delayed. But in this sense, it is used as an imperative (it's my opinion that it is crucial that it not be delayed, it should not be delayed).

< Previous | Next >