unpractical or impractical

ortak

Turkish
Hello friends,

I wonder which one more common in English. Dictionaries on the net shows both of them. Thanks in advance.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    Maybe some use "unpractical" but it certainly deviates from the pattern of other words starting with "m" or "p" - immaterial, impurity, impunity, immortal, impeccable, etc.
    (I had never seen unpractical)

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
    Hello everyone! :)

I decided to re-open this thread with the following question: Is "unpractical" used often in the US? Somebody from the UK just told me this word sounds weird to him, and the answer from Rover_KE confirms it. So maybe it's only found in American English?

Thank you in advance :)

EDIT: typo

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ... I decided to re-open this thread with the following question: Is "umpractical" used often in the US? Somebody from the UK just told me this word sounds weird to them, and the answer from Rover_KE confirms it. So maybe it's only found in American English? ...
    I've been speaking American English since the 1940s. I don't think I ever heard it.

jos.dan

Spanish (Guatemala)
    I've been speaking American English since the 1940s. I don't think I ever heard it.

so I guess it's not even standard American English :)

Somebody wrote the following explanation on the HiNative app:

They are essentially the same, however...
    Unpractical is good for: people without practical skill. Ex: it would be unpractical for me to fix my own car.

Impractical - not realistic. Ex: Picking up my entire house and moving it is impractical.

I know HiNative is not the best source for language learning -- I consider it bad myself. But still, this means some people do use "unpractical". Maybe it's a regional thing?

What is the difference between "unpractical " and "impractical " ? "unpractical " vs "impractical " ?

dojibear

US English
    I wouldn't use "unpractical". I think it's slang, not a "real word". I never hear it.

But "not practical" is common.

Driving to New York isn't practical. :tick: (isn't = is not)
    Driving to New York is unpractical. :cross:
    Driving to New York is impractical. :tick: