unsold, not under arrest, not subject to

CathrineW

n/a
n/a
Hi!

Do you think this sentence sounds natural? I have made it up by myself. I am not sure about a few negations in this sentence. Is it possible to use several negations in the same sentence?

The seller guarantees that the property is unsold, not under arrest, not burdened, not subject to legal claims by any third party, etc.

Thanks!

• boozer

Bulgarian
    I have no problem with the several negations. I might consider using different terms here and there. For instance, I would say that the property is 'free from encumbrances'.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I'm not sure how a property might be under arrest.

The police here in France and in the UK arrest criminals not patches of ground, which, anyway, aren't very likely to abscond.

CathrineW

n/a
    n/a
    Thanks for your opinions.
    Thomas Tompion, you are right. :) It is incorrect to write that the property is under arrest. I'll write that the property is not subject to a lien. I hope that it would be correct phrase.

boozer, "free from encumbrances" is a good option! That's what I am going to use in my text.

boozer

Bulgarian
    No. It is horrible. "...unsold, not under arrest, not burdened," is gibberish.
    It is, indeed, Paul, but, miraculously enough, I did understand everything. Maybe because it sounds like a word-for-word translation from my language. :) (except for the 'under arrest' part)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    What if I write "free from encumbrances, unsold and not subject to"? Will it still be gibberish?
    You do not need to say "unsold" because if it were sold it would be "subject to legal claims by [a] third party."

The main problem is that you have given no context at all and do not even say what "the property" is. It could be some nuts and bolts or it could be several blocks of housing on 100 hectares of land including a river and a mine. Without this context, it is all but impossible to answer.

< Previous | Next >