unstinted vs. unstinting

gil12345

chinese
Hi there,

"After studying the Haymarket case exhaustively, he pardoned the three survivors. Violent abuse was showered on him by conservatives, unstinted praise by
those who thought the men innocent."

--The American Pageant, by Thomas A. Bailey, David M. Kennedy, and Lizabeth Cohen

I consulted unstinted and was surprised to know "unstinted" can be used the same as "unstinting." I find the latter is more commonly used. But I am not sure. So which one is more acceptable meaning "generous"?

Thanks

Gil

• DrChen

French-France
    I think unstinted is closer in meaning to "unbounded", whereas "unstinting" is closer to "generous".

gil12345

chinese
    I think unstinted is closer in meaning to "unbounded", whereas "unstinting" is closer to "generous".
    In the link in my post, they can mean the same, yet "unstinted" means "unlimited." I think "unstinting" is used more frequently to mean "generous." But I am not sure.

rhitagawr

British English
    You can talk about unstinting devotion. So the word has positive connotations. Stint (noun) in the sense of limit is obsolete according to my dictionary. I suppose unstinting love is unlimited love. But I wouldn't say unlimited love.
    I suppose you could argue that because unstinted is a past participle - WR has just underlined my unstinted in red - you could argue that it refers to the past and unstinting refers to what continues to happen.
    I shall continue to say unstinting and not unstinted.

< Previous | Next >