Until + future tense

Discussion in 'English Only' started by gayyyyk, Jul 12, 2018 at 4:40 PM.

1. gayyyyk Senior Member

Russian
    hello ! Can we say something in future tense after “until” ?

2. moustic Senior Member

near Limoges
    British English
    I can't think of any context where you would use a future tense after "until". Have you come across an example?

I'll wait until you've finished.
    She'll read until her boyfriend arrives.

3. gayyyyk Senior Member

Russian
    Thanks

4. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    Until he will is entirely possible, in sentences like 'If the chief minister is not yet ready to talk with his children, then we will just wait until he will see us.' (Example from the American Corpus).

But in such cases until he will is not a future tense; it means until he is willing - ie. a present tense (of 'to be willing') with future force.

5. C.S.Hy

C.S.Hy New Member

Mandarin Chinese
    Some supplements:

● ‘Will’ may be used in 'until-clauses' to indicate a softened tone, carrying a meaning of 'possibility, probability'.

The time will not come until Tom will fight John.
    It will continue until Gaza will be in a different political context.

< Examples of different construction removed. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2018 at 1:02 AM
  6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Welcome to the forums, C.S.Hy!

I'm afraid that most of your "supplements" have nothing to do with the thread question, which is about "until + future tense".
    I'm puzzled by the two quotes of yours which do seem have something to do with the thread question. They both look incorrect to me: where did you find them?

7. C.S.Hy

C.S.Hy New Member

Mandarin Chinese
    COCA corpus.

I'd been careful to choose the use cases from seemingly more normal sourses; and I'd replaced one or two sensitive words.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 1:00 AM
  8. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    I might possibly change my mind if I could see the sentences in context, but they look very unidiomatic to me. I wouldn't advise anyone to imitate them.

9. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    Take the case of the quote from Ghassan Khatib in the CS Monitor: It will continue until Gaza will be in a different political context.

Mr Ghassan was educated at Durham University and has worked in several prestigious US universities, but English is not his first language, as is clear from a quote like this.

The time will not come until Tom will fight John is a variation of a Palestinian mantra, cited by Sha’i ben-Tekoa.

I think we need examples from native speakers in cases like this.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 7:21 AM
  10. DonnyB

DonnyB Senior Member

Coventry, UK
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Both of those sound very odd to me, too.

I can't come up with an example using the future tense after "until" where using the present tense wouldn't sound a lot more idiomatic.