"Until living memory"

< Previous | Next >

percivalpc

What exactly does the expression "until living memory" mean in this description of a scene in the Edwardian era? "The behatted guests are standing on the college barge, the floating boat-house which all the college rowing clubs maintained until living memory." Thanks.

• George French

English - UK
    Do you have some context for your text? And the author, the book article that you have extracted your a text from..

GF..

percivalpc

It's extracted from Richard Dawkins' An Appetite for Wonder. The following sentence is "Today, alas, they [those barges] have been replaced by serviceable brick boathouses on the shore", so I'm guessing "until living memory" meant "until recently".

Biffo

English - England
    It's extracted from Richard Dawkins' An Appetite for Wonder. The following sentence is "Today, alas, they [those barges] have been replaced by serviceable brick boathouses on the shore", so I'm guessing "until living memory" meant "until recently".
    Yes, I think so. Given that few people live beyond 100, we could say that it means approximately within the last hundred years.

I suspect that Dawkins means that he remembers it but was too lazy to find the exact date.

< Previous | Next >