unwanted smilies

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by machadinho, Mar 1, 2017.

1. machadinho Senior Member

pt br
    There's something wrong with the parser for emoticons. A tick within parentheses is coming out as 2 smilies.
    :)tick:)
    rather than
    ( :tick: )
    without whitespace.

I guess : tick : should take precedence over ( : and over : )

Thank you

2. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    (:tick:)

Is this what you want?

There is nothing really wrong with the parser: most parsers work from left to right. It does however sometimes give unwanted/unexpected results, like the one you quoted.

However, there is a workaround (as you can see on the first line), but it requires some typing.

This is what I had to enter to obtain my result:

[PLAIN]([/PLAIN]:tick:[PLAIN])[/PLAIN]

and you really don't want to know what I had to enter to make the previous line display.:D

3. machadinho Senior Member

pt br
    Okay, but if I recall correctly, it wasn't like this before. At any rate, though parsers usually work from left to right, there may be a parser rule to take ( : as a smiley only if the colon isn't immediately followed by a string of word characters (at least none among "tick", "thumb" etc.) immediately followed by another colon.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Well, I think the problem lies with the fact that it both recognizes (: and :) as the :) smiley.

5. Nino83 Senior Member

Italian
    True, and it's not the only change.
    For example in the old forum you could write an "s" or a "u" between two brackets, like this [s] [u], while in the new forum you've to use the "plain" function in order to avoid a crossed out or an underlined text.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  6. ilocas2 Senior Member

There are posts from the time before May 2015 where : followed by p without a space between them is :p in this new forum look.