Unwelcome person

< Previous | Next >

Ben Jamin

Senior Member
Is there a single word in English that denotes (in a scornful manner) a person that is not welcome to a group or local society, but tries to join in?
Note: I am not thinking about an intruder, which I think involves an illegal or forced entry, which is not a case here.
  • sdgraham

    Senior Member
    USA English
    Indeed. Try:

    Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

    interloper /ˈɪntəˌləʊpə/n
    • an intruder
    • a person who introduces himself into professional or social circles where he does not belong
    • a person who interferes in matters that are not his concern



    Senior Member
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I frequently see the word "troll" used with more-or-less your desired meaning in fora and chat rooms: "In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic ...."
    < Previous | Next >