unwelcome / undesired

CORALINNA

Portuguese - Brasil
Time has always been a problem for him. Not a simple problem that a planned schedule would solve. Planning ahead was not enough. I'd say he needed to plan ahead when to plan ahead to avoid unexpected unwelcome / undesired surprises.

Why should I say unwelcome?

• JamesM

(You are going to put "unexpected" next to one of these words? Unexpected seems redundant with "surprise" at the end. It's difficult to imagine an expected surprise. :) )

I prefer "unwelcome" over "undesired" in this sentence.

(There are other problems with the sentence: "...he needed to plan ahead when to plan ahead..." ??? )

CORALINNA

Portuguese - Brasil
    Time has always been a problem for him. Not a simple problem that a planned schedule would solve. Planning ahead was not enough. I'd say he needed to plan ahead when to plan ahead to avoid unexpected unwelcome / undesired surprises.

Why should I say unwelcome?
    I just copied from a book...Well, unwelcome and undesired would mean the same in this sentence? Because the answer key says it is unwelcome.

Loob

English UK
    No, unwelcome and undesired don't mean the same thing.

Undesired refers to your feelings before the surprises happen; unwelcome refers to how the surprises impact on you when they happen. Unwelcome is the better choice, as James says.

< Previous | Next >