Up to now I've never been able to..

valy822

Italy- Italian
Good morning everybody!:)
Could you please help me with this exercise?
I'm practising this use of TO BE ABLE TO and I'd like to know if the sentences are all correct. Thanks in advance for your help!
I have to complete the sentences with the correct tense of TO BE ABLE TO.

1. Up to now I (never).......understand why he always refuses to see me.
I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO

2.I'm sure that if you train hard you........win the competition. WILL BE ABLE TO

3.Despite all the efforts I've made, so far I.........find the solution to my problem. I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO

4.Are you sure he........supply us with the information we need? WILL BE ABLE TO

• Alxmrphi

UK English
    Valy.....

As you know, "Can" and "Will be able to" are the same thing, and I'd definitely use "Can" in some of those examples, it sounds more natural.

1. Up to now I (never).......understand why he always refuses to see me.
    I'VE NEVER BEEN ABLE TO / Couldn't

2.I'm sure that if you train hard you........win the competition. WILL BE ABLE TO / Can

3.Despite all the efforts I've made, so far I.........find the solution to my problem. I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO / Can't (here, your one is better)

4.Are you sure he........supply us with the information we need? WILL BE ABLE TO / Can (or, is able to)

Sorry for the nitpicking, but it will better your use of the English language, which I know is what you want.

valy822

Italy- Italian
    Hi Alex, I know that can and to be able to have the same meaning.
    I would have used can/could..in some of the sentences too..but the exercise on my book required only the use of to be able to.
    It's my book's fault!;-)
    it will better your use of the English language, which I know is what you want.
    That's definitely what I want. Thank you.

Jacob

English (United States)
    Valy.....
    3.Despite all the efforts I've made, so far I.........find the solution to my problem. I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO / Can't (here, your one is better)

In this example I would say that "haven't been able to" and "can't" don't have the same meaning. To me, "haven't been able to" just implies that when you attempted, you failed but you might be able to do it if you try again. "Can't," to me, implies that even though you've tried, you still can't do it and won't be able to in the future.