Updated (Web)

shop-englishx

Banned
Urdu
Hi,

I am going to take a competitive exam.. I have applied through the website for this exam... I am waiting for the test date to be announced.

I say: I should remain updated to the website so that I can know about the exact date of the exam...

I wonder if the underlined part is idiomatic.

Thank you so much!

• Copyright

American English
    Your version is not idiomatic, I'm afraid. How about this:

I will/should regularly check the website to learn the exact date of the exam.

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    2. to give someone the most recent information
    We'll update you on this news story throughout the day.

Source: CALD - *update (definition#2)

So, why can't I say:

I will be updated by the website so that I can know about the exact date of the exam...
    Or
    The website will update me so that I can know about the exact date of the exam...??

Copyright

American English
    2. to give someone the most recent information
    We'll update you on this news story throughout the day.
    Source: CALD - *update (definition#2)

So, why can't I say:

I will be updated by the website so that I can know about the exact date of the exam...
    Or
    The website will update me so that I can know about the exact date of the exam...??
    Because that isn't what you asked about in your OP – please read it again and notice the differences between the original sentence and these two.

Your new sentences are all right ... sort of. These are better:

I will be updated by the website on the exact date of the exam.
    or
    The website will update me on the exact date of the exam.

But really, you update information that you already know – "update" does not apply to information you don't know. If you don't know the date of the exam, you will be informed. Once they tell you the date, you will know it. But if they change the date, they can update you.

< Previous | Next >