upon completion (after or prior to?)

Tadeo

Español (México)
Good evening!

First of all, I know there are many previous threads about this, but I already read most of them and still I'm a little mixed up.

upon
immediately or very soon after. Ejemplo: She went into mourning upon her husband's death.

so:
upon arrival: al llegar/inmediatamente después de llegar
upon receiving: al recibir/ inmediatamente después de recibir

But what about upon completion and upon departure?

Upon Departure
Check-in
We take care about you from the beginning of your journey! (this is from an airline)

Remarks by the President Upon Departure for Camp David

In those examples:
Doesn't upon departure mean previous departure? Which is completely the opposite to the meaning above.

And upon completion is even harder, look:

Upon completion of 120 credits, the students will be considered for a Degree Porgram at the....

Here the meaning matches the one above, after completing or when completing the credits right???

But:
All students wiil have to approve the test with a minimum score of 90 upon completion of the first level......
The way I see it here it means completely the opposite, all students will have to approve the test previous completion of the first level

So, in what does the meaning of upon lie?

I mean how do I know if it means prior(previous) , when, or immediately after?
Thank you so much.

• MonaArg

Argentina-Spanish
    Hi, Tadeo!
    She went into mourning upon her husband's death.
    She went into mourning as soon as her husband died. OK

Remarks by the President Upon Departure for Camp David--> as soon as he departed?

Not sure...Doubt it!

Upon completion of 120 credits, the students will be considered for a Degree Porgram at the....
    As soon as students complete...---> It's OK! First they complete.... Then they will be considered...

All students wiil have to approve (???) the test with a minimum score of 90 upon completion of the first level......
    As soon as they complete the first level, students will have to pass... OK

The one I cannot sort out is "Upon departure-Check in"

Let's see if somebody makes some other comment.

Interesting.
    Bye,

Edit: Unless...
    It's a synomym for "on/when"
    upon departure he said...
    = On departing/When he departed he said...

I guess we'll have to look at the context.

Tadeo

Español (México)
    Thank you.

The one about check in upon departure i go it from an airline's web site.
    It is the preocedure to follow upon departure. This is the link
    And I just found this one two
    Vice President Dick Cheney speaks with Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmed Nazif upon departure from Cairo International Airport....

Then, according to those examples upon departure means prior to departure?

So upon can mean previous, when or right after depending on the context???

Thanks for any help.

MonaArg

Argentina-Spanish
    Hello,
    When I edited my message I was thinking of "Hurry up! The storm is upon us" and here it means "It's about to start raining"

So upon can mean previous, when or right after depending on the context???
    Yes.
    I'd say: immediately/right after OR immediately/right before.
    Bye,

micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    'Upon' es una de esas palabras difíciles de traducir al español porque es utilizada en cantidad de casos.

Yo nunca he pensado que significa 'antes' ni 'después'. Más bien significa 'en el momento de'. Y puede significar también 'a causa de', 'a raíz de', 'por...'

En el caso dl ejemplo con las palabras del presidente, se está diciendo que las palabras fueron dichas cuando él partía, en el momento en que partía.

En el caso de la viuda, ella está de duelo a causa de la muerte de su esposo, por la muerte de su esposo, duelo que empezó en el momento en que su esposo murió.

Piensa que 'upon' es en muchos casos lo mismo que 'on'. Muy frecuentemente se pueden intercambiar. 'On' tiene multitud de significados que 'en' no tiene en español. Uno piensa en 'on' (y en upon) como 'sobre'. Pero ese es apenas uno de sus múltiples usos. Es una palabra muy útil cuando se aprende a usar.

No sé si lo que digo tenga sentido, pero no tomes la palabra 'upon' con el sentido de 'antes' o 'después' porque no lo es. Digamos que es 'entre antes y después':eek: .

:)

rrobin37

In: México, From: Gabacholandia
    Hello!

Yeah exactly what micafe said: "between before and after"

For your examples: "at the moment of", (or perhaps "in the moment of")

"At/in the moment of finishing your tests,..."

"She went into mourning at the moment of her husbands death..."

"Remarks by the president at the moment of his departure,..."

"At the moment of arrival,... " (here, "arrival" would be the traveler arriving inside the airport, NOT the plane arriving to the airport)

"In the moment of completing 120 credits... (this sounds funny.. maybe it sounds better as: "When you complete 120 credits...", or better yet "After completing 120 credits..."... I think the ambiguity here is if "completion" refers to 1. the moment the student completes the last test of the last class, or 2. the moment the proffesor finishes grading the last test of a students last class, and 3. the moment the grades (qualifications) are entered into the computer system of the University meaning the student has "officially" completed the 120 credits, which I think is the most likely idea, i.e, "the moment all the university paperwork is finished..."

Hope that helps! :)

rrobin37

In: México, From: Gabacholandia
    As far as what is used more frequently (at least on the internet):

"at the moment of" or "in the moment of"

1,140,000 google hits for "At the moment of"

543,000 google hits for for "In the moment of"

and even with "upon"

10,800 google hits for "upon the moment of"

:)

< Previous | Next >