Upper right vs top right

Bormer

Italian
Hi guys,
What do you usually use for describing a particular location in a screen?

The flag is in the top right of the screen / The flag is in the upper right of the screen. ?

Do you have any link to websites talking about describing things in a screen or in a vertical map as well but without using ¨west east north south¨ that would be too formal.

Cheers,

Bormer.

• tepatria

Canadian English
    I can't help with the website, but upper right would indicate to me anywhere in the top right quadrant of the screen. Top right would mean at the top of the screen on the right hand side.

Bormer

Italian
    I can't help with the website, but upper right would indicate to me anywhere in the top right quadrant of the screen. Top right would mean at the top of the screen on the right hand side.

That´s quite explicative, but what about upper right quadrant vs top right quadrant? Are in this context upper and top synonyms?

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I spend a good deal of time writing materials in which I describe locations on a screen or in a window. (I suspect the original question should refer to location in a window, unless that window always fills the entire screen and cannot be reduced in size by any practical method.) The distinction in the previous post is correct: "upper" means somewhere near the top, but "top" means exactly that: there is nothing of interest above it. However, I wouldn't use "upper" for the entire top right quadrant. I'd reserve it for locations in at most the top third or quarter of the window. Below that, it's "near the middle," "just above the middle" (or whatever fits) even if it's in the upper half.

The idea is, after all, to guide the reader's eyes as effectively as possible - not to be mathematically precise.

sdgraham

USA English
    As I look out my window, I see a fly on the screen about four inches down from the top. I would say the "upper" portion of the screen.

That's the kind of screen you all are talking about - right? :rolleyes:

... or is there something missing here?