Upward conversion

Iuliana

Spanish-Spain
Does anybody know what "upward conversion" means? The context: hi-fi equipment user manual: "Upward conversion on CD playback". Thanks.

• nycphotography

American English
    Perhaps THIS (public domain) text From US Patent #5281797 will help:

The coherent short wavelength light source has the wavelength of not longer than 700 nm. As examples, there can be shown second harmonics lasers, II-VI compound semiconductor lasers, III-V compound semiconductor lasers, frequency upward conversion lasers, and wavelength conversion lasers.

You can read the whole thing here. If you have enough Advil that is.

Basically it's a very technical term that never should have made its way into user documentation.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Google found this for me......

"a digital upward conversion unit converts the plurality of predistorted carrier-specific input signals into an intermediate frequency prior to the plurality of predistorted carrier-specific input signals being merged into the input signal."

No! :D I don't know what it means.

DaleC

This amount of context is insufficient. Is this a fragment of a longer sentence? Is it the label on a diagram, or is it a phrase in a description of how the device works?
    Iuliana said:
    Does anybody know what "upward conversion" means? The context: hi-fi equipment user manual: "Upward conversion on CD playback". Thanks.

Iuliana

Spanish-Spain
    Thank you all for the help. The context: "the upward conversion feature makes it possible to output a maximum 192kHz signal when playing back CDs". I need a synonym or an explanation for "upward conversion", I have to translate it into Spanish.

DaleC

In Googling in search of an answer, I have discovered this much: the standard designations for altering the frequency are "up-conversion" and "down-conversion", not "upward conversion", etc. Postscript: Google "conversion hacia arriba" -- there are some Spaniards who use this wording with reference to devices like DVD players.

Although I still don't know the context of the sentence, clearly they are talking about *frequency up-conversion* (you can Google that), and in itself, all that that means is to take a signal and increase its frequency. I still don't know why the terminology "up-conversion" came into use (as opposed to "frequency raising", "frequency boosting", etc.).
    Iuliana said:
    Thank you all for the help. The context: "the upward conversion feature makes it possible to output a maximum 192kHz signal when playing back CDs". I need a synonym or an explanation for "upward conversion", I have to translate it into Spanish.
    And why are they discussing the signal? :rolleyes: :)

In the meantime, this new information bolsters the comment by "nycphotography" that the discussion doesn't belong in a user's manual. (Unless as a bonus for the benefit of sophisticated users.)

When you search Google for phrases that may be spelled inconsistently across Web sites, enclose the entire string in double quotes. E.g., either of the search terms "up-conversion" or "up conversion" should return tokens of all of the following three strings: "up-conversion", "up conversion", and "upconversion". In short, Google usually ignores punctuation between words.

Iuliana

Spanish-Spain
    Thank you very much for your help, DaleC. Well, you're right, it should't appear in a user's manual, but we are talking about a really high-end audio equipment. Anyway, i will translate it literally. And if they don't like it, bad luck.

Kelly B

USA English
    Moderator note: a new question on mechatronics was moved to a new thread on the subject.

< Previous | Next >