Urdu: ارسال خدمت

Gop

Tamil
Friends,
What is the meaning of ارسال خدمت in the following text:

کئی دن ہوئے آپ کا خط ملا تھا کہ عید نمبر کے لیے کچھ لکھوں۔ میری خود خواہش تھی لیکن کچھ نہ لکھ سکا۔ ایک نظم ارسال

خدمت ہے۔ اگرپسند آئے تو شائع کر دیجئے گا۔

Thanks.

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    A ارسال irsāl [inf. n. iv of رسل 'to bring a message'], s.m. Act of sending (as a writing, letter, &c.); despatch; remitting; remittance; monthly collections of rents forwarded to head-quarters by the subordinate revenue authorities: — irsāl karnā, v.t. To send, despatch, forward, remit, transmit: — irsāl-nāma, s.m. Invoice of goods, rents, &c. forwarded or despatched.

P خدمت ḵẖidmat (for A. خدمة, inf. or v.n. of خدم 'to serve'), s.f. Service, attendance, ministry; employment, business, office, appointment, function, duty; use:

ارسالِ خدمت irsaal-i-xidmat (despatched in [your] service)..... ایک نظم آپ کی خدمت میں بھیج رہا ہوں۔۔۔

Gop

Tamil
    A ارسال irsāl [inf. n. iv of رسل 'to bring a message'], s.m. Act of sending (as a writing, letter, &c.); despatch; remitting; remittance; monthly collections of rents forwarded to head-quarters by the subordinate revenue authorities: — irsāl karnā, v.t. To send, despatch, forward, remit, transmit: — irsāl-nāma, s.m. Invoice of goods, rents, &c. forwarded or despatched.

P خدمت ḵẖidmat (for A. خدمة, inf. or v.n. of خدم 'to serve'), s.f. Service, attendance, ministry; employment, business, office, appointment, function, duty; use:

ارسالِ خدمت irsaal-i-xidmat (despatched in [your] service)..... ایک نظم آپ کی خدمت میں بھیج رہا ہوں۔۔۔
    You have explained very well, Qureshpor SaaHib. So it is irsaal-i-xidmat! Thanks.

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    Can constructions of the form X-e-xidmat karnaa be used more generally to express something like "to do X in your service"? For example, might a palace builder present himself in a royal darbaar and say something like the following?

Huzuur-e-waalaa! jo ho ijaazaat to ham ek nayaa maHal ta3miir-e-xidmat karnaa chaahte haiN.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I am not certain, aevynn SaaHib, if your sentence would be acceptable even though it is of identical construction. I can't really offer an explanation at the moment why irsaal-i-xidmat is ok but ta3miir-i-xidmat does not appear to be. Perhaps other Urdu speaking friends may be able to offer an explanation.

By the way, there is a typo in your post..."ijaazaat".

Edit: I would say that a detailed explanation would be available in an Urdu grammar source which has a fuller and exhaustive explanation for the izaafat. As you will know, izaafat is used in other ways than mere possession.

Last edited:

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    Yes, it should have been "ijaazat" --- sorry about that.

Anyway, thanks for indicating that the sentence does not sound right to you. I asked because I remembered noticing a while ago that there are some fun verbs (padhaarnaa, tashriif rakhnaa, nosh farmaanaa, ...) that seem sort of akin to Japanese's "respectful" honorific verbs (sonkeigo). Seeing your explanation of irsaal-e-xidmat reminded me of Japanese's "humble" honorific verbs (kenjougo), so I was curious how much this -e-xidmat construction might generalize.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I think it depends on extant coeval locutions in the source language (here, Persian).

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    Have you encountered any other X-e-xidmat constructions with the meaning "doing X in your service" besides irsaal-e-xidmat?

[EDIT] I've just found some instances via Google Books of nazr-e-xidmat:

* chand ash3aar be saaxtah zubaan par aa ga'e, nazr-e-xidmat kartaa huuN.
    * aur is ke ba3d kii satreN nazr-e-xidmat haiN.
    * jald hii aap ko duusraa xat likhuuN gii, aur apnaa nayaa (shaa'i3a[*] shudah) kalaam bhii nazr-e-xidmat karuuN gii.

[*]: شائع --- I'm not sure what the transliteration of this should be according to our scheme... :)

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    aevynn said:
    Have you encountered any other X-e-xidmat constructions with the meaning "doing X in your service" besides irsaal-e-xidmat?
    پیشِ خدمت is one such construction, which is very common not only in writing but in everyday speech as well. (حاضرِ خدمت is also used with the similar meaning.)
    aevynn said:
    شائع --- I'm not sure what the transliteration of this should be according to our scheme
    shaa'i3 or shaa2i3

Gop

Tamil
    I have come across روانہ خدمت in the following sentence:
    ایک منظوم عریضہ لکھ کر روانہ خدمت کیا۔
    I presume this should be read as
    ek manzuum-i-3riiza likh kar ravaana-i-xidmat kiyaa.
    Is this correct? :)