Urdu: اس تقریب سے

Gop

Tamil
Friends, what is the meaning of اس تقریب سے in the following context:

سو جب تاثیر صاحب نے روزنامہ مغربی پاکستان میں ترقی پسندوں کے خلاف محاذ قائم کیا اور اس تقریب سے”امروز” کو بھی رگیدنا شروع کیا تو حسرت صاحب نے بقدرضرورت اپنے قلم کی نوک پر سرخی لگاکر ان کا ڈٹ کر مقابلہ کیا۔
“By this means”?
Thanks,
gope

• marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Gope SaaHib, it seems as if you've reincarnated :)

Your guess is "by this means". Could you please explain your train of thought?

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    I am curious too about the meaning, can't figure it out.
    On the occasion? For the cause? At the introduction?
    تقریب alone seems to mean all that

Here are more examples:

(Chancellor Angela Merkel invited to give a speech at some event at Harward University, from the Deutsche Welle)
    ہارورڈ یونیورسٹی کے صدر لاری بیکو نے جرمن چانسلر کو اس تقریب سے خطاب کے لیے مدعو کیا ہے۔

(A story told by Amir Kusro at his Chahar Darwish, from the Urdu Lughat)
    یہ قصہ چہار درویش کا ابتدا میں امیر خسرو نے اس تقریب سے کہا۔

Last edited:

Gop

Tamil
    Gope SaaHib, it seems as if you've reincarnated :)
    I have been unintentionally cut off from participating in WR due to a technical glitch, so I start a new avatar as Gop.:)
    Your guess is "by this means". Could you please explain your train of thought?
    Well, Platt says:
    A تقريب taqrīb [inf. n. ii of قرب 'to draw near'], s.f. Giving access (to), causing to approach, bringing near; approaching; approximation, proximity; approach, access; commending, recommending, mentioning (anyone) to another before meeting; recommendation, mention; occasion, conjuncture; festive occasion, festival; ceremony, rite; cause, means; appearance, probability; pretence, motive: — takrīb karnā, v.t. To bring (one) near (another); to commend, recommend; to prepare (one) for the reception (of another).
    The only sense that fits the context amidst the plethora of senses of this word taqriib is ‘means’. At the same time, I suspect is taqriib se could mean something else! Hence my post.
    Monsieur Gonzalito has cited two more examples which suggest that is taqriib see means something else.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Thanks for the usage examples and joining in, @MonsieurGonzalito. You're right, تقریب on itself has a lot of meanings and what's more, Gop(e)SaaHib's suspiction is correct, even the expression اس تقریب سے as a whole takes different senses and is quite idiomatic. In such situations only the context can tell but in the OP quotation the context allows more than one possible senses I can think of.

To me 'by this means' is a possible option but I'd choose some other ones because "so when Taseer sahib created a front against the progressivists [literary movement] at the daily "مغربی پاکستان" 'West Pakistan', and is tarqiib se also begon attacking 'امروز' 'Today'.

Deutsche Welle report says that Angela Merkel was invited to make a speech at a gathering =is taqriib se.
    In the sentence about Amir Khusro it means "for the reason that, on the account that / because / in order to ...

Gop

Tamil
    Thanks for the usage examples and joining in, @MonsieurGonzalito.

To me 'by this means' is a possible option but I'd choose some other ones because "so when Taseer sahib created a front against the progressivists [literary movement] at the daily "مغربی پاکستان" 'West Pakistan', and is tarqiib se also begon attacking 'امروز' 'Today'.
    marrish SaaHib, my problem is precisely where do I find some other option? The context indicates that Taseer SaaHib created a “front” , and this front was used to attack imroz. This front gave him access to attack imroz. Isn’t it so?

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    I would propose "on the occasion" (which is also good for the literal examples).
    If I understood @marrish correctly, the Taseer sentence is not describing the front as a means to attack "Today", but as an opportunity (occasion) to do so. It is emphasizing the incidental, opportunistic aspect of it, rather than how it was done.

and is tarqiib se also began attacking ...

< Previous | Next >