Urdu: جاوے

iskander e azam

English
Friends,

As you know, I am reading کالا پانی : تواریخِ عجیب which is the memoir of مولانا محمد جعفر تھانیسری published originally in 1885. I am reading the reprint of 2018 (Jhelum, Pakistan) with a introduction by محمد حامد سراج. Please note all page numbers are from this edition and may not match the edition to which you have access.

مولانا صاحب gives the following sentence using the word جاوے:

ایک دن جب مولوی محمد حسین صاحب بڑے ذوق شوق سے کشتی میں سوار ہو کر جزیرہ روس سے جزیرۂ ویپر کو مولوی احمد اللہ صاحب کی ملاقت کے واسطے جا رہے تھے، راستے میں وہ کشتی طوفان میں پڑی اور قریب تھی کہ ڈوب جاوے۔

Chapter 27, page 100, ll 5-7.

مولانا صاحب was from Thanesar, Haryana (?) in India. Is the use of جاوے normal in his dialect and is it still current?

Much obliged,

Alex

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    A little bit of "just-o-juu"....

A grammar on Urdu language was composed in Persian by no other than Insha Allah Khan Insha called daryaa-i-lataafat written in 1808 and published in 1851 (according to Baba-i-Urdu). See pp 150-151 for a discussion on this kind of verb construction.

Dariya-e-Latafat by Insha Allah Khan 'Insha' | Rekhta

This form was still around in Mirza Ghalib's time and became "matruuk" after that even though in poetry you will still find examples of its usage in imitation of the older style.

Last edited:

iskander e azam

English
    A little bit of "just-o-juu"....

A grammar on Urdu language was composed in Persian by no other than Insha Allah Khan Insha called daryaa-i-lataafat written in 1808 and published in 1851 (according to Baba-i-Urdu). See pp 150-151 for a discussion on this kind of verb construction.

Dariya-e-Latafat by Insha Allah Khan 'Insha' | Rekhta

This form was still around in Mirza Ghalib's time and became "matruuk" after that even though in poetry you will still find examples of its usage in imitation of the older style.
    QP SaaHIb,

Thank you for this. I am very interested in the development of Urdu as well as its contemporary usage.

مولانا صاحب himself sticks with the جاوے construction except in one spot where if I recall correctly (IIRC) he uses جائں گے.

Best wishes,

Alex

< Previous | Next >