Urdu: جواب آن غزل کے طور پر

Gop

Tamil
Hello,
What does the expression جواب آن غزل mean in the following text (from Intezar Husain, Ajmal-i-a3zam, p. 191):
مولانا شوکت علی نے گاندھی جی کے اس اقدام پر تاؤ کھایا اور جواب آن غزل کے طور پر اپنی رپورٹ شائع کرا دی۔

Thanks for help.

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    No, I believe there is no typo.

In the olden days, Ghazal* poets were in fierce competition with each other, especially those who did not see eye to eye and were hell bent to out do one another. So, if one wrote a Ghazal for which he was justly proud of, his rival would come up with his "جوابِ آن غزل" (a reply to that Ghazal). In the context provided the "action" (the first غزل, so to speak was a certain "step" taken by Mahatma Gandhi) and the "reaction" (جوابِ آن غزل was given by Maulana Shaukat Ali, in the form of getting his own report published).

* Ghazal poetry was the centre of rivalary because it was recited in "mushaa3iras" where other poets and cultured elite would be in attendance.

Last edited:

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    What would be the literal meaning of x(w)aab-i-aan here? Is it aan as in dignity, so the idea behind the phrase is that the rival poet is dreaming/aspiring to regain their dignity with their x(w)aab-i-aan ghazal...?

Qureshpor

What would be the literal meaning of x(w)aab-i-aan here? Is it aan as in dignity, so the idea behind the phrase is that the rival poet is dreaming/aspiring to regain their dignity with their x(w)aab-i-aan ghazal...?
    No, it is not the Indic word "aan" because an Indic word can not form the izaafat construction in Urdu. Of course those who "self-identify" themselves with Urdu would know this!:) The word "aan" is Persian for "that" as shown in my rendition of the phrase in my previous post. Indic proper nouns do form izaafats as in Iqbal's

اے آبِ رُودِ گنگا وہ دن ہے یاد تجھ کو
    اُترا تِرے کنارے جب کارواں ہمارا

By the way the phrase is not خوابِ آن غزل but جوابِ آن غزل.

For your reading pleasure....

Urdu: Use of "vaav-i-'ataf" and "kasrah-i-izaafat"

Urdu: Rhyming nasal words

Last edited:

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    By the way the phrase is not خوابِ آن غزل but جوابِ آن غزل.

This was definitely the cause for the confusion... :( Very stupid of me. Sorry, and thanks for clarifying!

No, it is not the Indic word "aan" because an Indic word can not form the izaafat construction in Urdu.

I was aware of this prescription, but I noticed that the entry in Platts was marked both "H" and "P" so I figured maybe it was simultaneously a Persian word and would therefore be permissible in izafats.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

This was definitely the cause for the confusion... :( Very stupid of me. Sorry, and thanks for clarifying!

I was aware of this prescription, but I noticed that the entry in Platts was marked both "H" and "P" so I figured maybe it was simultaneously a Persian word and would therefore be permissible in izafats.
    No need to apologise, aevynn SaaHib. Anyone can make a mistake. I believe, placing "aan" at once under H and P is an error in the dictionary. I have tried to look up آن in a Persian dictionary and have not been able to find anything that would resemble the Indic word آن as in the well known Dilip Kumar film of yesteryears. آن that note:)

تم انجمن میں رات عجب آن سے گئے
    بِسمِل کئی پڑے ہیں کئی جان سے گئے

نثار

بسمل = (here) wounded

رات = رات کو