Thanks.
Gope

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    اس کے معنی آپ کو پلیٹس میں مل جائیں گے۔ ہاں تھوڑی تلاش کرنا پڑے گی ۔

Gop

Tamil
    اس کے معنی آپ کو پلیٹس میں مل جائیں گے۔ ہاں تھوڑی تلاش کرنا پڑے گی ۔
    Qureshpor SaaHib, from what little I know of.grammar, the infinitive form of سونتے ہوئے has to be سوننا, or maybe even سونتنا. Both options lead nowhere. I appeal once again to your generosity in getting me out of this difficulty. That will teach me how to research for a word meaning. :)

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Gope SaaHib, I am away from my normal station and don't have access to a computer. suuNtaa is the past participle of the verb suuNtnaa. One of the meanings of the verb is "to rub it clean". So, in your sentence the meaning is "Turning away from us they went to the wiped clean blackboard, hanging at the front".

Last edited:

Gop

Tamil
    Gope SaaHib, I am away from my normal station and don't have access to a computer. suuNtaa is the past participle of the verb suuNtnaa. One of the meanings of the verb is "to rub it clean". So, in your sentence the meaning is "Turning away from us they went to the wiped clean blackboard, hanging at the front".
    Thank you very much, Qureshpor SaaHib, for explaining this. All my confusion came because the form سونتے ہوئے looked to me (deceptively) like a present participle ( like کرتے ہوئے، جاتے ہوئے etc.) whereas, as you have explained, it is a past participle and the meaning of سونتے ہوئے بلیک بورڈ is then immediately obvious.

< Previous | Next >