USA
English
What does the ضمنی mean here?:
انٹرمیڈیٹ رمل نمبر 424996 ضمنی 2010 میڑ پاس کیا ہوا ہے

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    What does the ضمنی mean here?:
    انٹرمیڈیٹ رمل نمبر 424996 ضمنی 2010 میڑ پاس کیا ہوا ہے

Good question. Firstly a question. Should your quote state, "Intermediate role number 424996 zimnii 2010 Metric paas kiyaa hu'aa hai?

The dictionary meaning of "zimnii" is "incidental/implicit/collateral or corroborative (evidence) etc.

We have "zimnii intiKhaabaat" which are "bye-elections". Also one can have "zimnii asaraat" (side effects), but I am not sure about the meaning in your quote. Perhaps someone who has taken examinations at that or high level in Pakistan might be able to help.

Koozagar

Urdu
    zimni exam is like a makeup exam or a bye-exam, just like bye-election if you will, that you can take if you miss or fail the actual exam. The examination board schedules zimni exams a few weeks after the results for the big board exam are announced.

Qureshpor

I see. Thank you - I would never have figured that one out from the dictionary!

I think Koozagar Sahib's explanation is in line with the dictionary definiton.

incidental=secondary

Secondary in the sense of not being the main examination. Similarly the main effects of a medication presumably would be to alleviate the illness. However it may also have zimnii/secondary effects.

omlick

American English
    zimni exam is like a makeup exam or a bye-exam, just like bye-election if you will, that you can take if you miss or fail the actual exam. The examination board schedules zimni exams a few weeks after the results for the big board exam are announced.

Just a note, the word "bye" is only used when bidding someone farewell. Use "by" for anything else then that situation.

Gop

Tamil
    I have come across the phrase ‘zimnii taur par’ in the following text from Intezar Husain’s charaaGhoN kaa dhuaaN, but have no clue as to its exact meaning here. Could our friends help? Thanks:

پھر بھی کم از کم لاہور شہر کی حد تک ٹی ہاؤس کا ایک کونہ امتیاز حاصل تھا۔ شہر میں جس وکیل، جس

صحافی، جس پروفیسر کو جو افواہ یا جو پیشن گوئی دستیاب ہوتی یا اس نے پی پی سی پر جو مطلب کی بات سنی

ہوتی یا ٹائم یا نیوزویک میں بڑھی ہوتی، اسے لے کر وہ ٹی ہاؤس پہنچتاکہ شہر میں ایک یہ ٹھکانا تھا یا منڈلی

جہاں اس طرح کے ہر مال کی بہت کھپت تھی۔ ان دنوں ٹی ہاؤس میں کچھ زیادہ ہی مجمع رہتا تھا۔ وہ

زمانہ تو کبھی کا گذر چکا تھا، جب یہاں زوروشور سے بحث ادبی مسائل پر ہوا کرتی تھی۔ بین الاقوامی

صورتحال ہو یا ملک کا سیاسی احوال بس ضمنی طور پرہی زیر بحث آتا تھا۔

Qureshpor

On a subsidiary/secondary basis (not the main focus of events).

Last edited:

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Can we then say also for ‘zimnii taur par hii’ ‘only incidentally’?
    No, I'm afraid we can't say so. Just to add on top of Q SaaHib's exhaustive contributions, let me try to sketch what was meant here, like "those topics didn't come up in discussions unless on a tangent as a matter of secondary importance, in subsidiary relation to their literary debates".

Gop

Tamil
    No, I'm afraid we can't say so. Just to add on top of Q SaaHib's exhaustive contributions, let me try to sketch what was meant here, like "those topics didn't come up in discussions unless on a tangent as a matter of secondary importance, in subsidiary relation to their literary debates".
    I find this difficult to grasp. In post #5, QP SaaHib said ‘incidental = secondary.’:confused:

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    That post gives a list of meanings for the adjective but some of them do not always correspond in a given usage.