Urdu: ظالم

Gope

Tamil
Friends,
(From radio ke din by Raza Ali Abidi):

Raza Ali Abidi goes to interview Mohd. Rafi on behalf of BBC’s Urdu Service when Rafi SaaHib is visiting London, but fails to evoke any spontaneous responses to his questions and terminates his interview in just 4 minutes. Then it is the turn of the Hindi service man to interview Rafi SaaHib. However, during the interview Abidi had asked Rafi SaaHib if he felt fear when facing the microphone for the first time to render a song, and Rafi SaaHib replies, only some hesitation in the beginning, but later one gets over it. Now Abidi tells us:

ظالم نے یہ بات بالکل صحیح کہی تھی۔ جس وقت ہندی سروس والے نے انٹرویو شرو کیا تھا رفی صاحب کے جھجھک نکل چکی تھی۔

And Rafi SaaHib speaks spontaneously to the Hindi Service man.

Now what is the meaning of ظالم in this context? Is there an English equivalent?
Thanks.:)

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    سب سے پہلے آپ کے لکھے ہوئے جملے کی تصحیح۔

ظالم نے یہ بات بالکل صحیح کہی تھی۔ جس وقت ہندی سروس والے نے انٹرویو شروع کیا تھا رفیع صاحب کی جھجھک نکل چکی تھی۔

مجھے معلوم نہیں کہ انگریزی میں ایسے ظالم کو کیا کہتے ہیں لیکن اردو شاعری میں شاعر اپنے معشوق کو ظالم بھی کہتا ہے کیونکہ وہ اُسے یعنی شاعر کو خوب ستاتا ہے۔ رضا علی عابدی بھی رفیع صاحب کو لاڈ پیار یعنی تعریف بیان کرنے والے لہجے ہی میں ظالم کہہ رہے ہیں۔

جب آپ مُحَمَّد رفیع کو بات کرتے سنیں گے تو بے ساختہ کہیں گے کہ یہ شخص گانے کیسے گاتا ہے جو اتنا کم گو اور خاموش طبیعت کا مالک ہے۔ ساتھ ہی بہت سادہ لوح جبکہ گانوں سے یہ ظاہر ہوتا ہے کہ اِس سے زیادہ شرارتی کوئی اور نہیں ہو گا۔

Gope

Tamil
    سب سے پہلے آپ کے لکھے ہوئے جملے کی تصحیح۔

ظالم نے یہ بات بالکل صحیح کہی تھی۔ جس وقت ہندی سروس والے نے انٹرویو شروع کیا تھا رفیع صاحب کی جھجھک نکل چکی تھی۔
    I
    Thank you very much, Qureshpor SaaHib, for your thoughtful corrections, giving the correct forms: شروع، رفیع، کی جھجھک. I had no idea that the name Rafi is written like this.:D

Thanks also for your giving the background from Urdu shaayari for the use of ظلم. In the relationship of lover/beloved, this word can convey both fondness and reproach, it seems to me. In the context of my sentence, ظلم seems to be purely a term of endearment. Do you agree?

By the way, your description of Rafi SaaHib’s personality is very interesting, Abidi says much the same about him further on in his narrative.

Qureshpor

Thank you very much, Qureshpor SaaHib, for your thoughtful corrections, giving the correct forms: شروع، رفیع، کی جھجھک. I had no idea that the name Rafi is written like this.:D

Thanks also for your giving the background from Urdu shaayari for the use of ظلم. In the relationship of lover/beloved, this word can convey both fondness and reproach, it seems to me. In the context of my sentence, ظلم seems to be purely a term of endearment. Do you agree?
    گوپ صاحب لفظ رفیع کی شکل وہی ہے جو کبیر کی ہے۔ وہی شکل ایک اور شخص کے نام کی ہے جسے آپ بخوبی جانتے ہیں۔

re + zabar + fe + chhoTii ye + 3ain = رفیع meaning اُونچا

kaaf + zabar + be + chhoTii ye + re = کبیر meaning بڑا

بہت سے عربی الفاظ یہی روپ دھارتے ہیں اور بطورِ صفت استعمال ہوتے ہیں، مثال کے طور پر شریف، حسین، جمیل، فقیر وغیرہ

ہے۔ term of endearment جی ہاں، ظالم نہ کہ ظلم جیسے کہ آپ نے لکھا ہے ایک

Gope

Tamil
    Thank you once again, QP SaaHib. Having seen the author Ibne Safi’s name written as صفی I just assumed a similar but wrong spelling for رفیع. Your explanation about many words of Arabic origin which are also adjectives has put me on guard and I hope not to repeat the mistake.:)

Qureshpor

Thank you once again, QP SaaHib. Having seen the author Ibne Safi’s name written as صفی I just assumed a similar but wrong spelling for رفیع. Your explanation about many words of Arabic origin which are also adjectives has put me on guard and I hope not to repeat the mistake.:)
    Theoretically speaking صفی should be swaad + zabar + fe + ye + ye i.e صفیّ. Same with غنیّ rich.

< Previous | Next >