Urdu: عض اہل علم

Amélie222

ENGLAND
Hi.
I want to know what a certain article is talking about, so can somebody translate this into English please?
I would try it but don't know Arabic (unfortunately!)

سوال :

اگر جمعہ ميں حاضرين كى اكثريت عربى زبان سے ناواقف ہو تو كيا امام جمعہ كا خطبہ انگلش ميں دے سكتا ہے ؟​

جواب:

الحمد للہ :
بعض اہل علم نے جمعہ المبارك اور عيدين كا خطبہ عربى كے علاوہ كسى اور زبان ميں دينے سے منع كيا ہے، اس ميں ان كى رغبت يہ رہى كہ عربي زبان باقى اور محفوظ رہے، اور نبى كريم صلى اللہ عليہ وسلم اور ان كے صحابہ كرام كے طريقہ پر چلا جا سكے، جو دوسرے ملكوں ميں بھى عربى زبان ميں ہى خطبہ ديتے تھے، اور پھر لوگوں كو عربى زبان سيكھنے پر ابھارا جا سكے.

• linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Hi Amélie.

The above text is not actually Arabic, it is Urdu.
    (I think you did this before too :D. Arabic isn't the only language that uses this script ;) - just for future hehe). Moderators will hopefully move it to the OL forum :)

Anyway, I'll give you my best translation:
    (Red bits are "notes" to help explain things)
    Question:

In the Jummah (prayers for Muslims on Fridays), if most people are not competant with the Arabic language, can the Imaam give the khutbah (sermon) in English?

Answer:

Praise be to God: (Al-Hamdu lillaah - this is actually in Arabic, but is commonly used by all Muslims)

Many Some big scholars have forbidden from giving the khutbah (sermon) for Jummah and both Eid prayers in any other language besides Arabic. The sense behind this is that the Arabic language remains and stays safeguarded. The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and the respected Sahabah (basically his followers) used to follow this method that even in other countries, they used to give the sermons just in Arabic, so then people would have the zeal to learn Arabic.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Hi Mohammed,
    Nice job :)

Of course I can't comment on your translation, as I don't speak Urdu. But I notice you translated بعض as "many", doesn't it mean -as in Arabic- "some" ? This can change the meaning a bit, don't you think ?

Thanks for explaining :)

linguist786

English, Gujarati & Urdu
    Hi Mohammed,
    Nice job :)

Of course I can't comment on your translation, as I don't speak Urdu. But I notice you translated بعض as "many", doesn't it mean -as in Arabic- "some" ? This can change the meaning a bit, don't you think ?

Thanks for explaining :)
    You're right! Thanks so much for pointing that out! :thumbsup:

I kind of did it in a rush - since the OP wanted the gist of it rather than an exact translation - this not being an excuse of course :D. Of course as linguists, we should always translate as accurately as possible, and as you pointed out - the meaning is changed considerably in this case.

So thanks again! :):thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >