Urdu: غماز

< Previous | Next >

iskander e azam

English
Friends,

I am looking for the meaning of غماز as found in the following sentence (from a book I am reading):

جن حالات کا ہم مطالعہ کر چکے ہیں وہ اِس بات کے غماز ہیں کی یورپی ممالک دانشمندی کی بجائے سطحی اندازِ فکر اختیار کیا۔

I have the following meanings (culled from Platts et al) for غماز:

nm. backbiter, an informer, a tale-bearer, a calumniator, (rare) winking, spy, taunter, telltale, tale-bearing, taunting, winking, pursuing;

None of them seem to fit the sentence.

The word that seems to fit is 'indicators'.

Any thoughts?

Much obliged,

Alex

• iskander e azam

English
    گزشتہ صفحات میں یورپ کے جن حالات کا ہم مطالعہ کر چکے ہیں وہ اِس بات کے غماز ہیں کہ یورپی ممالک کے سربراہان نے دانشمندی کی بجائے انتہائی سطحی اندازِ فکر اختیار کرتے ہوئے حالات میں سدھار لانے کی بجائے روز بروز بگڑتے حالات کے لیے راہ ہموار کی۔

marrish SaaHIb,

I now give the sentence in full. I had abridged and amended the earlier one. Should I have added the world تلخیض in brackets at the end to show the initial sentence was abridged?

Best wishes,

Alex

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Alex SaaHib, please consider that you have abridged/amended the sentence too much!

جن حالات کا ہم مطالعہ کر چکے ہیں وہ اِس بات کے غماز ہیں کی کہ یورپی ممالک نے دانشمندی کی بجائے سطحی اندازِ فکر اختیار کیا۔

I don't know the word تلخیض so I can't comment on it.

To answer the question, Ghammaaz (I'll be writing in transliteration because I'm not sure if you knew that the miim is geminated.) is the agent noun in its intensive form (Arabic). The word we have in Urdu too, Ghamzah غمزہ, is what a Ghammaaz does. In other words, Ghammaaz (aadamii) aaNkhoN yaa bhawoN se ishaare kartaa hae. Ghamzah aaNkhoN yaa bhawoN kaa ishaarah hotaa hae.

Here, it is an example of figurative usage of this word to mean ishaare karne waalaa (without the original notion of Ghamzah).

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I forgot to add that another way of saying the same is : ... is baat kii Ghammaazii kartaa hae kih ... اس بات کی غمازی کرتا ہے کہ

iskander e azam

English
    دوستو۔
    ابھی تک "غماز" لفظ مجھے دقت دیتا ہے۔
    اس مثال پر غور کیجیے۔

یادداشتوں اور احتجاجات کے ایک سلسلے میں پاکستان نے دعویٰ کیا کہ یہ صورت حال مشرقی پاکستان پر بڑے بھرتی حملے کی غماز ہے۔

غالب احمد یار خان کی کتاب"میں نے پاکستان ٹوٹتے دیکھا"
    باب۷، صفحہ ۲۰۷، سطور ۱۸ تا ۲۰

میں اس کا ترجمہ ایسا کرتا ہوں کہ

In one series of memos and protests, Pakistan claimed that this state of affairs was indicative of a immense Indian attack on East Pakistan.

ہے۔ indicative میری نزنیک غماز کا معنی یہاں

آپ کا کیا سوچ؟

آپ کی مدد کے لیے مشکور۔

اسکندر

< Previous | Next >