Urdu: فصل کٹی

iskander e azam

English
Friends,

فصل کٹی is being used metaphorically in the 'نیا الیکشنی محاذ' article (second paragraph, lines 10-11) in today's Daily Sahafat (Lucknow edition).

Is this metaphorical use common? The sense seems to be 'to do a thing and get an adverse result'.

Can anyone provide a proverbial or idiomatic arrangement of words for it?

Can anyone confirm a meaning?

Yours faithfully,

Alex

• Yes, the usage is common but it's not necessary adverse. You can get a good harvest or a bad harvest.

In the context of the article, the report is alluding to situation on the ground in the Western Uttar Pradesh, in months preceding the general elections of 2014, which was highly polarised. When the harvest i.e. General election results came out, it was no surprise that BJP won all the seats from this area. The usage of 'فصل کٹی' is also quite apt in this case as Western Uttar Pradesh has a much more productive agricultural sector compared to other areas of Uttar Pradesh, and agriculture plays a significant role in shaping the social structure and intra/inter community relations.

Yes, the usage is common but it's not necessary adverse. You can get a good harvest or a bad harvest.

In the context of the article, the report is alluding to situation on the ground in the Western Uttar Pradesh, in months preceding the general elections of 2014, which was highly polarised. When the harvest i.e. General election results came out, it was no surprise that BJP won all the seats from this area. The usage of 'فصل کٹی' is also quite apt in this case as Western Uttar Pradesh has a much more productive agricultural sector compared to other areas of Uttar Pradesh, and agriculture plays a significant role in shaping the social structure and intra/inter community relations.

Khaanabadosh SaaHib,

Would you agree that in its metaphorical sense it expresses surprise or shock?

Yours sincerely,

Alex

I'm not so sure. The preceding sentence already concedes that pitting Jats against Muslims turned out to be a successful experiment. And, then 'فصل کٹی' appears in the article. So, I see the meaning of culmination/end of a process in this usage. The surprise factor was that they won all the seats, but I don't think the phrase itself is conveying this meaning. Other members can comment on this.

beej bona - sowing seeds &
    fasl kaatna - cutting crops

are just the start and end points of a process.

Back