Urdu: مرامیز

Rosina_V

French
Hello!
I am back with a question about a word found in a poem, but in none of the dictionaries I have access to at the moment. I would be very happy of your help. It is the word "مرامیز", which, I assume is from the same root as "رمز"... Thank you in advance for your help! I can give here the whole passage (from a poem):

وہ دور اپنے تحیر کی خسند حالت میں
اور اپنے ابہام کی دست و دل باز سمتوں کے
پندارہ پرور مرامیز کی ہر علامت میں
ایک خواب کا خواب تھا​
Bahut shukriya :thank you:

• Rosina_V

French
    Thank you very much! I should have had a closer look at the old threads. This forum is really a mine! It means more something on the lines of "indecipherable, enigmatic" in Urdu, I think, but this makes perfect sense in the poem. Thanks again!:thank you:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Hello!
    I am back with a question about a word found in a poem, but in none of the dictionaries I have access to at the moment. I would be very happy of your help. It is the word "مرامیز", which, I assume is from the same root as "رمز"... Thank you in advance for your help! I can give here the whole passage (from a poem):

وہ دور اپنے تحیر کی خسند حالت میں
    اور اپنے ابہام کی دست و دل باز سمتوں کے
    پندارہ پرور مرامیز کی ہر علامت میں
    ایک خواب کا خواب تھا​
    Bahut shukriya :thank you:
    Yes, as you have surmised, the root letters of this word are ر م ز which bears the meaning of "to make a sign, to wink, to point to , to symbolise, to represent etc.

The Arabic past participle from رَمَزَ would be "مَرمُوز" and its plural is مرامیز just like مکتوب's plural is مکاتیب۔

Rosina_V

French
    Thank you very much! I am still struggling with Arabic plural forms, since I never studied Arabic. Your comment is a great help! Would you then read it here as a participle, or could it be substantivated as well?

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Thank you very much! I am still struggling with Arabic plural forms, since I never studied Arabic. Your comment is a great help! Would you then read it here as a participle, or could it be substantivated as well?
    Participles can be nouns or adjectives. e.g قاتل a murderer; قاتل حسینہ a murderous (cruel) beauty

مکتوب (what is) written... letter
    مکاتیب letters