Urdu: وقت پیش آتی ہوگی

Gop

Tamil
Hello,
What is the meaning of وقت پیش آتی ہوگی in the following context:

کہا کہ آپ کے گیٹ پر آپ کے نام کی تختی نہیں ہے۔ پہلی دفعہ آنے والوں کو وقت پیش آتی ہوگی۔

(Intezar Husain, Ajmal-i-a3zam)
‘time will be going ahead of them’? i.e., ‘they will be behind time’?
Thanks.

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    What Urdu letter could one mis-read for a و Gope SaaHib? Perhaps a typo in the book?

Gop

Tamil
    What Urdu letter could one mis-read for a و Gope SaaHib? Perhaps a typo in the book?
    I do have difficulty in distinguishing between a و and a د . Here it is not وقت but دقت, ‘difficulty
    I am attaching a screenshot of the text. Please tell me if it is a typo or if I misread دقت as وقت .

23959346-5261-40C7-A641-F8FF8073AB17.jpeg

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This is what I was suggesting in post 2, perhaps not clearly enough, that the word in question is دِقَّت. You are not at fault for thinking that the word could be وقت as the د in دفعہ is a clear د but that in دقّت is not so clear and one could be tempted to read it as a و. What I am disappointed about is this that, Gope SaaHib, who has read more of some of the best Urdu literature than possibly most Urdu speakers (in my view), would think that the word is وقت! :)

Last edited:

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I do have difficulty in distinguishing between a و and a د . Here it is not وقت but دقت, ‘difficulty
    You are not at fault for thinking that the word could be وقت as the د in دفعہ is a clear د but that in دقّت is not so clear and one could be tempted to read it as a و.
    While I'd like to concur that the word should be read as دِقّت still as far as I'm concerned I can see it is actually a well-defined but wrong و there in the screenshot, so, Gope SaaHib, your question is not unwarranted but I can understand Qureshpor SaaHib's sentiment.

Gop

Tamil
    My dear friends,
    I agree it was a regrettable misreading on my part. Qureshpor SaaHib has been very indulgent.