Urdu: پروانۂ راہ داری

< Previous | Next >

PersoLatin

UK
Persian - Iran
Moderator's note: split from this thread.

Here is an example of pronunciation - پروانۂ راہ داری.)
Thank you Alfaaz.

So parvânah becomes parvâné before ezâfé/izaafat, is that correct & if so, do all words ending in silent h follow the same behaviour in Urdu?

پروانۂ راہ داری
I am guessing this means ‘driving licence’, is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Thank you Alfaaz.

So parvânah becomes parvâné before ezâfé/izaafat, is that correct & if so, do all words ending in silent h follow the same behaviour in Urdu?
    No it is parvaana(h)-i-raah-daaraari. In terms of pronunciation, parvaana(h)-e-raah-daaraari where e has the sound of English letter a.

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    It's rather a "document giving permission for travel," or a "passport," according to the dictionary @Alfaaz linked us to. There's also an entry for it in Platts. That being said, it seems that the passports issued by the government of Pakistan use a loanword from English, پاسپورٹ (paasporT). So, I'd imagine that پروانۂ راہ داری is more of a historical term that's not commonly used anymore, but I'm not sure...

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    No it is parvaana(h)-i-raah-daaraari. In terms of pronunciation, parvaana(h)-e-raah-daaraari where e has the sound of English letter a.
    That’s not what I hear on the link Alfaaz posted, what I hear is -neye and not -naye, the former being very similar to the pronunciation in modern mainstream Persian.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    It's rather a "document giving permission for travel," or a "passport," according to the dictionary @Alfaaz linked us to.
    Thank you, I looked but couldn’t work it out, but the meaning now makes sense. In Persian passport (pronounced pâsport) is also used but گذرنامه/gozarnâmé is the official word.

Alfaaz

English
    PersoLatin said:
    aevynn said:
    So, I'd imagine that پروانۂ راہ داری is more of a historical term that's not commonly used anymore, but I'm not sure...
    Passport/document allowing travel or entry - پاس پورٹ، پروانۂ راہ داری، جوازِ سفر، گذر نامہ
    • The English term is used frequently in colloquial language, but the other terms can still be heard in formal, legal, political, etc. contexts.
      • پروانہ is also often used without an izaafat and context could indicate the intended meaning - passport or other پروانہ جات such as پروانۂ گرفتاری - arrest warrant, etc.
    Driving/Driver's license - The English word لائسنس is used. Suggested terms in dictionaries are پروانہ/اجازہ موٹر رانی/گاڑی بانی. However, these are rarely (if ever) used.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    Driving/Driver's license - The English word لائسنس is used. Suggested terms in dictionaries are پروانہ/اجازہ موٹر رانی/گاڑی بانی. However, these are rarely (if ever) used.
    In Iran driving licence is گواهینامه رانندگی & the French pronunciation of ‘license’ is used for a Bachelor Degree.

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    PersoLatin said:
    In Iran driving licence is گواهینامه رانندگی & the French pronunciation of ‘license’ is used for a Bachelor Degree.
    Thanks for the interesting information. Which word(s) would be used for professional licences?

It seems راندن is common (گواهینامه رانندگی - driving testimony/licence and موٹر/گاڑی رانی - motor/vehicle driving).

< Previous | Next >