Urdu: کتا

Gop

Tamil
تو اب ایوب آمریت “غازی صدر ایوب کی آنکھ میں خون اتر آیا ہے” والے پر شکوہ دور سے گزر کر “ایوب کتا ہائے ہائے “ والے دور میں داخل ہو گئی تھی۔
(Intezar Husain, ChiraaGhoN kaa dhuaaN, p. 215)

Friends,
I have difficulty in understanding this sentence as a whole as it seems to be very idiomatic, and I am not sure how to read the word کتا occurring in it. I am giving below my translation, please correct it:

*So now the Ayub dictatorship, passing from the period characterised by complaints of the nature “conqueror President’s eyes are shedding blood” had entered a period of “Ayub کتا down down”.

Thanks.

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Your confusion is in the reading of the word پُر شِکوہ "pur-shikoh".

P شکوه shukoh, shikoh, shakoh [rt. Zend khshvip = S. शिप्], s.f. Majesty, magnificence, dignity, grandeur, state; train, pomp, parade; stir, to-do: — shukoh karnā, To act pompously, to make a stir, or to-do.

One period of President Ayub Khan was full of grandeaur and in the next, some people were shouting "Ayub is a dog....".

Gop

Tamil
    Your confusion is in the reading of the word پُر شِکوہ "pur-shikoh".

P شکوه shukoh, shikoh, shakoh [rt. Zend khshvip = S. शिप्], s.f. Majesty, magnificence, dignity, grandeur, state; train, pomp, parade; stir, to-do: — shukoh karnā, To act pompously, to make a stir, or to-do.

One period of President Ayub Khan was full of grandeaur and in the next, some people were shouting "Ayub is a dog....".
    Spot on! Qureshpor SaaHib, and many thanks.

aevynn

USA
    English, Hindustani
    conqueror President’s eyes are shedding blood
    By the way, "aaNkhoN meN xuun utarnaa" is a muHaavarah roughly meaning "to be filled with rage" (cf. Urduu LuGhat or Shabdsaagar). Somewhat similar to the English idiom "to see red," I suppose!

Edit: In context, perhaps "Ayub the Conqueror is out for blood!"

Last edited:
    • Thank you!
    Reactions: Dib

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Edit: In context, perhaps "Ayub the Conqueror is out for blood!"
    aevynn صااحب, a Ghaazii is someone who takes part in a battle (Ghazvah) and although not part of the meaning, there is a general understanding that he comes back alive (as opposed to one who dies and becomes a martyr- a shahiid). So, here perhaps a more suitable translation might be "Ayub, the enraged Warrior".

• Thank you!
    Reactions: Dib

Gop

Tamil
    Some more context for this phrase from an earlier page (p. 213):
    اصل میں صفدر میر ایوب خاں کے پہلے ہی سے بہت مداح چلے آ رہے تھے۔ جنگی حالات میں (this refers to the India Pakistan war of 1965) یہ مداح دو آتشہ ہو گئی۔ اس ہنگام انہوں نے جو پہلی جنگی نظم لکھی اس میں بھی اس کا عکس آ گیا
    ع
    صدر ایوب کی آنکھ میں خون اتر آیا ہے
    اصل میں تو خون صفدر میر کی آنکھوں میں اترا ہوا تھا۔ اس کی نکاسی شاعری کے واسطے سے ہوئی۔
    Is the author saying ‘actually it was Safdar Mir (and not Ayub) who was enraged’?

iskander e azam

English
    Blood red eyes are uncomfortable to look at. I googled "monster with blood red eyes" and got 2500+ plus hits. A wicked nature is displayed through an ugly appearance.