Urdu: کنا یۃ ً

Saimdusan

English (AU)
I found the following definition of معمار in Urduban:

2) ۲۔ (کسی ادارے یا ملک کو) بنانے والا ، بانی ، بنیاد رکھنے والا ، نشو و نما کرنے والا ؛ (کنا یۃً) قائد ، رہنما ۔
What is the meaning of "کنا یۃً" in this context?

• Saimdusan

English (AU)
    Thanks! In that case is there any difference between کنايتاً and مجازاً or are they interchangeable in this context? So far I've more often seen مجازاً used in dictionaries, although I haven't been using monolingual dictionaries for very long.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    کنایہ and مجاز from مُجاز are not synonymous in all senses.

P H مجاز majāz (for A. mujāz, pass. part. of اجاز 'to make, or hold to be, allowable,' &c., iv of جاز (for جوز), 'to become allowable,' &c.), adj. & s.m. Allowable, admissible, lawful, authorized, warranted, licensed; legally competent (syn. jāʼiz); — artificial, feigned, insincere, false; superficial; political; worldly; profane (as opp. to divine love); — illusory, delusive; — permission, authority, licence; competency: — majāz honā, v.n. To be allowed, to be legally authorized, &c.: — gair-majāz, adj. Unauthorized, not warranted, &c.

A مجازًا majāzaṉ (acc. of majāz), adv. Figuratively, metaphorically; — (and in H. fr. majāz, corr. of mujāz), legally, lawfully; — superficially; insincerely, hypocritically.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    There is a redundant space in your online source right in the middle of the word.

The spelling given in Platts is ‹ کنايتًا ›. Taking into account that nowadays ی ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH (in Urdu چھوٹی ی chhoTii yē) is used instead of ي ARABIC LETTER YEH, it should have been typeset as کنایتًا. Although there is no visible change, it can be seen when the letters are separated: ک ن ا ي تً ا vs. ک ن ا ی تً ا ۔

The current spelling is ‹ کنایۃً › and to the best of my knowledge it's the correct one.

For further reference, there's some information about the spelling of this type of adverbs in Urdu: Pronunciation of کلیۃً and here as well: Urdu: double-zabar.
    At least in Arabic, on basis of what I've gathered later on from answers to a previous question of mine in the Arabic forum, in cases when -an is written with alif (ا) , tanwin should actually precede it, and not be placed on top or typed after it.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >