Urdu: A promise

Shounak

Bengali
Hello,

Concerning "wada"(promise), which one is right,
وعدہ or وداع

I found وداع is a Persian word. Which one is correct?

• Shounak

Bengali
    Thank you Alfaaz'ji, Nadim'ji, Zafar'ji.
    I got it.
    What is وادا ? Am I typing something wrong?

Alfaaz

English
    Shounak said:
    Thank you Alfaaz'ji, Nadim'ji, Zafar'ji.
    I got it.
    What is وادا ? Am I typing something wrong?
    In this thread (quotes below), you had mentioned that you were using a transliteration system, but it wasn't working properly for you. Then, marrish suggested that you could use Google Transliterate and you said that it was working.

While asking the question above, are you perhaps typing "wada" into the system and getting different results that you are then asking about in this thread?

• If yes, then it is important to mention that the transliteration system provides all the combination of Urdu letters that could possibly be represented by the Roman transliteration entered into the system. This certainly does not mean that every combination the system presents is going to be an actual word!
      • This is where recognizing the correct spelling of words through practice and/or using a dictionary would be really helpful.
    marrish said:
    Google transliterate is here, it doesn't translate but transliterates. It gives you the opportunity to revise and choose the proper spelling of a word, but most of the words are given instantly correct.
    Shounak said:
    Marrish'ji. I have no words to thank you. Yes, I have checked the Google transliteration. It is giving the right result. Yes, you are very right. The one I was using gave the wrong results, but as I did not have any tool, I was unable to do so. Although, I was reading and writing in the way you have mentioned. I would be strongly using this for my future postings. Thank you very much.

Shounak

Bengali
    Respected Alfaaz'ji,

You have go me right. While I am typing "wada" in Google transliteration it is showing all types of possible combination and I did not knew which one is the right word. Thank you for your effort in making me understand.
    It is وعدہ.

Thank you.

fdb, وعدة as far as I know means "several". May be I am absolutely wrong. Seniors can rectify on that.

nizamuddin

urdu
    وعدہ اور وداع دو مختلف الفاظ ہیں جن کے معنی بھی بالکل مختلف ہیں۔

وعدہ کے معنی اقرار، عہد، قول، عہد و پیمان وغیرہ ہیں ۔۔۔۔۔۔

محاورہ: اگر وعدہ وفا نہ ہو تو ہم اپنا نام رکھوائیں

شعر : وعدہ کرکے اور بھی آفت میں ڈالا آپ نے
    زندگی مشکل تھی‘ اب مرنا بھی مشکل ہوگیا

http://www.urduinc.com/english-dictionary/وعدہ-meaning-in-urdu

وداع کے معنی : رخصت کرنا، اجازت دینا، دلہن کو اپنے گھر سے رخصت کرنا وغیرہ

محاورہ : مہر ‌گئی، ‌محبت ‌گئی، ‌گئے ‌نان ‌اور ‌پان۔ ‌حقے ‌سے ‌منہ ‌جھلس ‌کے ‌وداع ‌کیا ‌مہمان

شعر : کئی دن سُلوک وداع کا‘ مرے درپے دل زار تھا
    کبھو درد تھا‘ کبھو داغ تھا‘ کبھو زخم تھا‘ کبھو وار تھا

http://www.urduinc.com/english-dictionary/وداع-meaning-in-urdu

Shounak

Bengali
    Respected Nizamuddin'ji,

Thank you for your detailed translation. I got it with different meaning.

Alfaaz

English
    fdb said:
    وعدة : Is there such a word in Arabic? Platts says yes. I am skeptical.
    It is listed in some of the Arabic dictionaries here (Arabic Almanac).
    • Hans Wehr: 1266
    • Lane's Lexicon: 2952
    • Steingass: 1221
    However, it seems the only form or primary form listed is وعد in most of the entries. Is this what you are trying to point to?

وعد seems to be very rarely used in Urdu, but there are examples in literature (quoted
    here):

چلایا ہاتھ مار کے زانو پہ ابن سعد
    زیبا دلاوروں کو نہیں ہے خلاف وعد

انیس

In addition, it was included as a possible option in the following Arabic thread:
    Go back on your word
    Xence said:
    تراجعَ في كلامه
    أخلفَ وعده

Alfaaz

English
    Dib said:
    I am quite sure this does not count, because the final "ه" (note, it is NOT a taa' marbuuta) is the 3rd person masculine singular possessive marker "wa3d(a?)-h(u?)" = "his wa3d".
    Thanks for the correction! So does this mean that fdb SaaHib was indicating that وعد is the original form?

Shounak

Bengali
    Marrish'ji,

This is an extremely great effort in finding things out. I have no words to explain your effort which you undertake in making a person learn. Thank you once more.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    وعدة : Is there such a word in Arabic? Platts says yes. I am sceptical.
    Your scepticism is absolutely well founded! It appears that the Urdu "وعدہ" is either an "amalgamation" of وَعد and عِدۃ or perhaps more likely from وَعَدَہُ (he promised him). I wonder if وعدہ is or was used in Persian. I am saying this because most of Arabic vocabulary into Urdu has come via Persian. That's the general consensus anyway.

PS: According to Platts, وعدہ is a noun of unity.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Your scepticism is absolutely well founded! It appears that the Urdu "وعدہ" is either an "amalgamation" of وَعد and عِدۃ or perhaps more likely from وَعَدَہُ (he promised him). I wonder if وعدہ is or was used in Persian. I am saying this because most of Arabic vocabulary into Urdu has come via Persian. That's the general consensus anyway.

PS: According to Platts, وعدہ is a noun of unity.
    یا وعده مکن که می فرستم
    یا وعدهء خویش را وفا کن

سعدی

cf. مصرعه used both in Persian and Urdu.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >