Urdu: chain se

< Previous | Next >

Misery Signals

Dutch
Hey all. I have been listening to some Urdu songs and I have come across "chain se" which I think means "peacefully," is that correct? I always used "sukoon se" instead of "chain se," can somebody tell me what the difference is? Thanks in advance.

• littlepond

Hindi
    "sukoon" and "chain" can mean the same in some contexts and can mean different in other contexts. Your context would help. In general, they can mean relief, lack of restlessness, etc.

Misery Signals

Dutch
    "sukoon" and "chain" can mean the same in some contexts and can mean different in other contexts. Your context would help. In general, they can mean relief, lack of restlessness, etc.
    Yes, please give us the context (as per the rules, and to clarify the question). The name of the song, and the whole sentence where you heard this.

And welcome to the forum, @Misery Signals :)
    Thank you for the warm welcome, I wasn't aware giving context was a rule here, my bad! I will keep it in mind next time. As for the songs, in both cases the lyrics were penned by someone else rather than the performers.

I first heard it in "Wo Humsafar Tha" by Qurat-al-ain Balouch. The full line is "Tarq-e-taluqaat pe, roya na tu na mein, liken kya hai ye chain se soya na tu na mein. Then I heard it in Tajdar-e-Haram by Atif Aslam, the song opens with "Qismat men miri chain se jeena likh de."

While the lyrics were translated, I first had no idea which word meant what because I had never heard it before in my life. Despite hailing from an Urdu speaking family, my grasp on Urdu is rather limited. I am more fluent in the languages I learned by myself, like Dutch and English. And I find it pitiful. Sometimes I try to use a dictionary, but a problem quickly arises: in what context do I use it? So it makes sense that giving context is a rule here!

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    "Qismat men miri chain se jeena likh de."
    In my opinion, in this sentence "chain se" is not the usual adverbial expression of "mode" (peacefully), but more of "instrument" ("with peace", "through peace", as if peace were the pencil)

qismat meN merii chain se jiinaa likh de!
    Duube na kabhii meraa safīnaa likh de!

May life write in my kismet with peace!
    May it be written for the the boat/book of my life never to sink!

Last edited:

Alfaaz

English
    Misery Signals said:
    I have been listening to some Urdu songs and I have come across "chain se" which I think means "peacefully," is that correct? I always used "sukoon se" instead of "chain se," can somebody tell me what the difference is?
    The following words (as well as many others) can be synonyms, with certain differences in meaning and/or additional meanings and usages depending on exact context:
    • چین، کل، سکون، قرار، راحت، آرام، اطمئنان، وغیرہ - chain, kal, sukuun, qaraar, raaHat, aaraam, itmi'naan, waGhairah
      • Note: Apart from the first two that are from Sanskrit, the rest are also used in izaafat constructions (relevant examples below: sukuun-e-dil, qaraar-e-nazar, etc.) due to being of Arabic or Persian origins.

بے تاب ہو اُدھر تم بے چین ہیں اِدھر ہم
    پل پل گذرتا جائے نادانیوں کا موسم

شاعر: مسرور انور از پاکستانی اُردو فلم ارمان
    be-taab ho udhar tum be-chain haiN idhar ham
    pal pal guzartaa jaa’e naadaaniyoN kaa mausam

shaa3ir: Masroor Anwar az Pakistani Urdu film Armaan (1966)
    سکونِ دل کو، قرارِ نظر کو روتے ہیں
    چراغِ شام جلا کر سحر کو روتے ہیں
    sukuun-e-dil ko, qaraar-e-nazar ko rote haiN
    charaaGh-e-shaam jalaa kar saHar ko rote haiN
    کس کس اپنی کل کو رووے ہجراں میں بے کل اس کا
    خواب گئی ہے تاب گئی ہے چین گیا آرام گیا

میر تقی میر
    kis kis apnii kal ko rove hijraaN meN be-kal us kaa
    xaab ga'ii hai taab ga'ii hai chain gayaa aaraam gayaa

Meer Taqi Meer
    بے کل رات بتائی بے چین دن گذارا
    کس آس پر نہ جانے ہم نے تجھے پکارا

شاعر: اختر یوسف از پاکستانی اردو فلم ایندھن
    be-kal raat bitaa'ii be-chain din guzaaraa
    kis aas par nah jaane ham ne tujhe pukaaraa

shaa3ir: Akthar Yusuf az Pakistani Urdu film Eindhan (1966)
    کبھی تو ہم ہیں یہاں وہاں کے کبھی تصور ادھر ادھر کا
    سکون و راحت سے کیا تعلق کہ بد گمانی ہے اور ہم ہیں

نوح ناروی
    kabhii to ham haiN yahaaN wahaaN ke kabhii tasawwur idhar udhar kaa
    sukuun-o-raaHat se kyaa ta3alluq keh bad-gumaanii hai aur ham haiN

Nooh Naarvi

Misery Signals said:
    The full line is "Tarq-e-taluqaat pe, roya na tu na mein, liken kya hai ye chain se soya na tu na mein.
    ترکِ تعلقات پہ رویا نہ تو نہ میں
    لیکن یہ کیا کہ چین سے سویا نہ تو نہ میں

شاعر: خالد احمد

tark-e-ta3alluqaat peh royaa nah tu nah maiN
    lekin yeh kyaa keh chain se soyaa nah tu nah maiN

Shaa3ir: Khalid Ahmad
    MonsieurGonzalito said:
    In my opinion, in this sentence "chain se" is not the usual adverbial expression of "mode" (peacefully), but more of "instrument" ("with peace", "through peace", as if peace were the pencil)
    Looking at it in the following segments might be helpful:
    (اے کاتبِ تقدیر) قسمت میں میری چین سے جینا لکھ دے
    • (اے کاتبِ تقدیر) - (O Lord/"writer of destiny")
    • لکھ دے - write
    • میں - in
    • میری قسمت - my destiny
    • چین سے جینا - to live peacefully

< Previous | Next >