Urdu: colors

lcfatima

English USA
De we have a thread for colors?

I was reading and came across this in English:

Nowadays brocade is being produced on the power looms for its wide-scale production for the market. Several kannis or little wooden shuttles of different colors are used for a single weft line of the fabric. Up to 50 colours could be worked into one shawl made of the jamawar cloth. The most popular colours being zard, sufed, mushki, ferozi, ingari, uda gulnar and kirmiz.

zard: orangish-yellow
safaid: white
mashki:musk, dark brown which is almost black
firozi: turqoise
ingari: ?
uda gulnaar: ?
kirmiz: I am going to guess crimson red?

Can you fill in the colors I don't know and also suggest some other useful colors that one might hear/read, beyond our classroom colors neela, peela, kaala, etc. I am not finding them in the dictionary except mashki.

What color is fauzi/fauzia?

• BP.

Urdu
    De we have a thread for colors?

I was reading and came across this in English:

ingari: ?
    uda gulnaar: ?
    kirmiz: I am going to guess crimson red?

Can you fill in the colors I don't know and also suggest some other useful colors that one might hear/read, beyond our classroom colors neela, peela, kaala, etc. I am not finding them in the dictionary except mashki.

What color is fauzi/fauzia?

Some remarks about your list:
    ingari: ? could this be angaarii: fire-coloured. But which colour if fire?
    uda gulnaar: ? uudaa is purple and gulnar's the name of a red flower. Can it be that these are in fact two coulours you're talking about?
    kirmiz: I am going to guess crimson red? qirmizii-قرمزی-. Yes, crimson.

Some colours I can think of:
    violet: banafshii-بنفشی
    mauve: kaasnii-کاسنی
    purple: jaamunii-جامنی. Also uudaa-اودا
    maroon: 3unnaabii-عٌنابی.

I wonder how would have they come up with colour names if there were no flowers or fruits around!

Koozagar

Urdu
    And then of course there are more common ones such as:

ہرا = green

پیلا = yellow

سرخ = red

گندمی = Wheat

سرمئی = gray

One confusion that I always have is about 'kaasni'. Some say 'purple' is kassni. Some say its more red than purple and some say its more blue. Mauve, as BP suggests, is definitely lighter than purple. Faiz Sahib writes:

raat chale...
    siyah raat chale...
    Dard kai kaasni pazeb bajaati niklay

In this poem, it is the night that is walking wearing the 'kaasni' anklets of pain. The color that brings together the symbols of dusk and pain is red with slight blue but more red. What do you think?

akak

USA
    UK, India- English, Urdu, Hindi
    I agree on the lilac/mauve for kaasnii.

In the lists, I didn't see:
    gulaabi (pink)
    pyazi (cochineal/dusty pink)
    rani (for very bright magenta... this is probably a low register)
    sabz (green)
    baingani (alternate to jamuni / dark purple)
    baadami (creamy, beige)

Come to think of it, a lot of the 'color's are basically comparing to produce -- gaajari, tarboozi etc.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Has anyone heard "naabii" for violet before? It might just be a Punjabi word.

No, the word is "'unaabii" ('ain +pesh+nuun+alif+be+zer+ye) but we Punjabis love to eat away parts of words and this is what is happening here!

There is

Dhaani = light green
    Katthai = brown
    Angoori = (the colour of yellow /green grapes)
    Naranji = orange

I would like to know how they call "Lemon colour" in Urdu. (neither peela, nor zard)

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    beside that

sunehra = golden
    chaandi = silver
    aasmaani = light blue
    aarghwaani = purple

For silver, perhaps "rupahlaa" as in Majaaz's famous nazm "aavaarah".

yih rupahlii chhaaoN yih aakaash par taaroN kaa jaal
    jaise suufii kaa tasavvur jaise 'aashiq kaa KHayaal
    aah lekin kaun jaane kaun samjhe jii kaa Haal

ai Gham-i-dil kyaa karuuN ai vaHshat-i-dil kyaa karuuN

Saleti is grey for me.

And of course they use chaandi in urdu for silver. "Chaandi ka rang" Have you never heard of it? Strange. Well they won't use it to say like "chandi gaari" to say "silver car" .. but they would say "chandi ke rang ki .."

Dib

Bengali (India)
    Yes rupehlaa-روپہلا- is probably glossy pale silver. I am told that this relates to an indigenous word for the metal silver.

Indeed. Sanskrit ruupya- is silver, probably as the "beautiful metal" from "ruupa-", shape, form, beauty. Whence we have Bengali "rupa" (silver) as well as "ruupayaa", the appellation for money over a large part of the subcontinent - originally silver coins.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Perhaps it is the same pattern as of sunėhraa, it makes me think about Sanskrit svarNR-.

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
    IMO jaamunii and banganii vary in that the former is a generic term for purple whilst the latter stands for what in English is known as aubergine and is specific to its shade.