Urdu: Course

Alyzana

English - United States
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, but what do you call a course? Specifically, an educational course. So far, the closest I could get is "مزمون," which I believe means either "article" or "subject."

Examples:
"One of my courses is English Honors?! But I qualified for AP!"
"Which course do you want to take? We offer Spanish, French, and Italian."
"Your online courses completed are not worth credits in our system. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Also: Can anybody make a list of Urdu letters with Kasrahs under them? They're a pain to type.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    You meant to write مضمون I believe. This would cover "course" as well. Other words that come to mind are تربیت and نصاب. I hasten to add that کورس seems to be the norm.

دِراست may also be one to consider.

Last edited:

Alyzana

English - United States
    Other words that come to mind are تربیت and نصاب.
    Thanks for the reply, I was unsure about نصاب.

You meant to write مضمون I believe.
    Actually, when I asked a native speaker, she said both مظمون and مضمون would work, but it said مزمون when we consulted her incredibly large Urdu-English Dictionary.
    ‏Maybe it was a typo?

iskander e azam

English

Actually, when I asked a native speaker, she said both مظمون and مضمون would work, but it said مزمون when we consulted her incredibly large Urdu-English Dictionary.
    ‏Maybe it was a typo?

Alyzana,

Typos are the bane of an Urdu learner's life and there are a lot of them out there but as you become ever more familiar with the language you will recognise them.

There are also a large number of variant spellings in Urdu.

Best wishes,

Alex

Qureshpor

‏Maybe it was a typo?
    نصاب can mean both "syllabus" and "course".
    No only مضمون is the correct and accepted spelling.

Alyzana

English - United States
    Typos are the bane of an Urdu learner's life and there are a lot of them out there but as you become ever more familiar with the language you will recognise them.
    No only مضمون is the correct and accepted spelling.

I understand, I meant that I thought the dictionary had a typo. (It sounds like you're correcting my thoughts, but if you weren't, just ignore this.)

Qureshpor

I understand, I meant that I thought the dictionary had a typo. (It sounds like you're correcting my thoughts, but if you weren't, just ignore this.)
    No, I was correcting the "native speaker" and the dictionary. If I come across a better equivalent for "course", I shall return.