Urdu: difference between میرا-میری-میرے and اپنا-اپنی-اپنے

< Previous | Next >

Stranger_

Persian
Dear friends, I am still not entirely clear on the difference between them. Could you explain their usages backed up by some example sentences? I am embarrassed to ask this rudimentary question but I have been absorbing a lot of information lately and things just get mixed up in my head. Please do not refrain from mentioning any similarities you might find between Urdu grammar and Modern or Classical Persian grammar because that helps a lot. And this applies to any thread I open, not only this one.

Best regards,

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ^
    maiN mere ghar gayaa :cross:

maiN apne ghar gayaa (I went to my house)

maiN us ke ghar gayaa (I went to his/her house)

vuh us ke
    ghar gayaa (He went to his/her house)...i.e. somebody else's house

vuh apne ghar gayaa (He went to his house)...i.e. his own house not someone else's

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    yih (subject) meraa ghar hae. maiN (subject) apne ghar meN rahtaa huuN. mere ghar meN aur bhii log (subject) rahte haiN. maiN (subject) apne ghar meN tanhaa nahiiN hotaa. mere ghar meN logoN kii aamad-o-raft jaarii rahtii hae.

yih meraa apnaa ghar hae.

"alif" ne mujhe apnaa patah bataayaa. maiN ne bhii us ko apnaa patah bataayaa.

"be" aur "jiim", donoN ek ghar meN rahte haiN.
    wuh un kaa ghar hai. un ke ghar kaa patah mere paas nahiiN hae lekin meraa patah un ke paas hae. maiN ne un ko apnaa patah bataayaa lekin unhoN ne mujhe apnaa patah nahiiN bataayaa.

"be" aur "jiim" apne ghar meN rahte haiN. "x", "y" aur "z" kaa bhii apnaa ghar hae. "x" ne sab ko apne ghar bulaayaa. kahaa, aaj tum log mere ghar aa'o. sab us ke ghar aa'e aur raat ko apne apne ghar chale ga'e lekin "z" apne ghar nahiiN gayaa. us kaa ghar duur hae. wuh mere ghar gayaa. maiN ne kahaa tum mere ghar ko apnaa ghar samjho.

Stranger_

Persian
    Thank you QP SaaHib for the short yet concise reply.

Thank you marrish SaaHib for going out of your way to address my question. Not only did you answer it comprehensively, but you also made it challenging for me to think and figure out the meaning on my own. Really nice and exiting way.

Now my question is settled but I need some clarification on a couple of examples you have provided.

Can't get the meaning at ll.

"be" aur "jiim" apne ghar meN rahte haiN. "x", "y" aur "z" kaa bhii apnaa ghar hae.
    What does "kaa" refer to in this sentence? Their place of residence?

sab us ke ghar aa'e aur raat ko apne apne ghar chale ga'e
    Could you give a literal translation of "chale ga'e"? I wonder in what tense it is. If it is a compound verb "چل جانا", then why is the "e" attached to چل? Shouldn't the root be kept unchanged?

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Now my question is settled but I need some clarification on a couple of examples you have provided.
    You're welcome. Interesting, isn't it? yih meraa ghar hae aur wuh bhii meraa ghar hae, lekin yih ghar kiraaye kaa hae aur wuh meraa apnaa hae.
    "be" aur "jiim" apne ghar meN rahte haiN. "x", "y" aur "z" kaa bhii apnaa ghar hae.
    x, y aur z ke do ghar haiN. ek apnaa aur ek kiraaye kaa. meraa ek ghar hae.
    un ke apne ghar meN un ke waalidain rahte haiN jab kih wuh xud duusre shahr meN kiraaye ke ghar meN rahte haiN.
    maiN apne waalidain ke saath apne ghar meN rahtaa huuN. mere waalidain mere saath mere ghar meN rahte haiN. un kaa ghar chuuN kih duusre shahr meN hae, unhoN ne apne ghar ko kiraaye diyaa.
    sab us ke ghar aa'e aur raat ko apne apne ghar chale ga'e
    ...they left to, departed. For the rest, I don't want to indulge in this matter as it will be a big discussion so please prepare a new thread.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    [...]Could you give a literal translation of "chale ga'e"? I wonder in what tense it is. If it is a compound verb "چل جانا", then why is the "e" attached to چل? Shouldn't the root be kept unchanged?
    Very briefly...

One has compound verbs in which the first part is the past participle and the second part, the infinitive...e.g.

paRaa rahnaa

chalaa jaanaa

khel xatm hone ke ba3d maiN ghar chalaa gayaa. (male speaker)

khel xatm hone ke ba3d maiN ghar chalii gayii. (female speaker)

khel xatm hone ke ba3d ham ghar chale ga'e. (male speakers)

khel xatm hone ke ba3d ham ghar chalii ga'iiN (female speakers)

The meaning, if you know something of the Classical Persian verb system is somewhat equivalent to the "bi+past tense"

pas az paayaan-i-baazi ba-xaanah bi-raftam/bi-raftem.

Stranger_

Persian
    Thank you again gentlemen. I had to read what marrish SaaHib wrote over and over until it finally made sense :)

< Previous | Next >